Plumbing in basement. What does this need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fxsrider

Reaction score
I bought this bank repo and it has some strange plumbing. I know I need to cut this out and do the standpipe and vent. The line coming in from the top goes to the kitchen sink, it has a single basin and a dishwasher. What is the purpose of the 4 inch pipe section? Is that in case all three were draining at the same time? Dishwasher, sink, and washer? I am not sure where to bring the washer drain in. I cut out the cracked sewer pipe and have that finished. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

Maple drains.JPG

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought this bank repo and it has some strange plumbing. I know I need to cut this out and do the standpipe and vent. The line coming in from the top goes to the kitchen sink, it has a single basin and a dishwasher. What is the purpose of the 4 inch pipe section? Is that in case all three were draining at the same time? Dishwasher, sink, and washer? I am not sure where to bring the washer drain in. I cut out the cracked sewer pipe and have that finished. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thank You. View attachment 56420
4 " pipe is useless, Its probably all they had

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Since there is PVC and ABS mixed in and this un-godly contraption, I'd be concerned at the kitchen sink if there is vented, either to the roof or an AAV. What else could be hacked in the house?

What might the 2" (?) ABS pipe going up from the 45 degree wye be? It could have been an original connection for the sink drain or is it a vent?

There is an Oatey cement for when joining ABS and PVC pipe together. When reworking it, the kitchen sink drain should be increased to 2" if it is not. Can't tell from the picture.

I would from the main cast iron stack cut out the 2" pipe and adapter and run a section of 3" pipe with two wye's, one for the sink and another for the washing machine. You might want continue it to add a utility sink but the height looks too high for one. Besure to cap the 3" pipe with a clean out and work in the venting.
white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc005021400hd-64_145.jpg

If you plan to flip this house, signed off plumbing permit(s) would sure eliminate any questionable work on a house inspection.

c3f93bcb304311032449bd5367e284d2.jpg

Fxsrider

Reaction score
Since there is PVC and ABS mixed in and this un-godly contraption, I'd be concerned at the kitchen sink if there is vented, either to the roof or an AAV. What else could be hacked in the house?

What might the 2" (?) ABS pipe going up from the 45 degree wye be? It could have been an original connection for the sink drain or is it a vent?

There is an Oatey cement for when joining ABS and PVC pipe together. When reworking it, the kitchen sink drain should be increased to 2" if it is not. Can't tell from the picture.

I would from the main cast iron stack cut out the 2" pipe and adapter and run a section of 3" pipe with two wye's, one for the sink and another for the washing machine. You might want continue it to add a utility sink but the height looks too high for one. Besure to cap the 3" pipe with a clean out and work in the venting.
white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc005021400hd-64_145.jpg

If you plan to flip this house, signed off plumbing permit(s) would sure eliminate any questionable work on a house inspection.

c3f93bcb304311032449bd5367e284d2.jpg
That section of 4" really puzzled me.
I find no vent for the kitchen sink. I will replace that with 2" and get it vented.

The 2" coming out of the wye. My uneducated guess is from the second floor tub and sink. The home has the bare minimum as far as plumbing goes. Toilet, tub, and sink on second floor. Kitchen sink and dishwasher on first floor. One outside spigot. Laundry. Built in 1927. Got it cheap.

I am planning to keep it as a rental.

I have photoshop. I still can't draw very good. Is this the general idea? Add a three inch pipe to collect the sink/dishwasher in one wye, a second wye downstream/below for the standpipe. I know there are thick books of codes. Do you think venting the top of the 3 inch locally in the basement would be an issue? it is two stories with an attic.

Maple house plumbing sketch.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
I expected it was put there to add some storage capacity for stuff waiting to get thru the trap. This could have been after observing the kitchen sink getting water coming up when the washer emptied.

It's a bad install design. It does not come close to meeting codes for more than one reason. Some include
  1. two traps in series
  2. pump from wm pressurizing the sewage pipes
  3. no vent for the wm, tho your sketch would solve that.
  4. The upper left of your photo has a non-shield rubber coupler. That should be shielded (metal band around the rubber).
Your new design

1. should have a p-trap at the kitchen sink. There may be one already, since your photo and diagram don't show that area.
  2. should have the kitchen waste join the waste pipe after the vents.
  3. should keep the pipe after the kitchen p-trap horizontal (1 inch/ft drop) until the vent. Instead of your new wye, you need a sanitary tee.
Maybe you could bring the kitchen waste into about where your rubber coupler is. What is that line that joins in right below the rubber coupler? I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

Fxsrider

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't check back right away. I am going to tackle some of this today. If I can get the main line to clear. The gas company ran new lines across the front of the lot. They either went over, under, or through the sewer line. I cannot find a cleanout anywhere. Made a camera to stick down the line to try and have a look. This might get real interesting. The sewer line runs out to connect under the sidewalk across the street. A paved street. Brilliant!

However, now I know why the out of place fat section was in the line, someone mentioned this earlier. It was to buffer the output. Without it, the washing machine is too much. Not only that but the waste stack backs up and comes out of the washing machine drain, that got me looking at the main line and finding it severely restricted.

So today's goal is to fish a camera down the main. I will document this well. Have photos of it later today.

Thanks to all for the replies. Stay tuned for the follies!!

Attachments

• Maple street sewer.jpg
    Maple street sewer.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 141

Fxsrider

Reaction score
The city told me the connection to the main is where I have it drawn. I'm calling it a guess because they didn't take nearly enough time to look anything up to answer my question. Or maybe I got Rain man by chance. The weirdo who has the layout memorized.

Reach4

Reaction score
Rodding through the roof vent may be practical if they continued the stack up through the roof.

Depending upon what you find, you might want to get an outside cleanout installed.

Fxsrider

Reaction score
I expected it was put there to add some storage capacity for stuff waiting to get thru the trap. This could have been after observing the kitchen sink getting water coming up when the washer emptied.

It's a bad install design. It does not come close to meeting codes for more than one reason. Some include
  1. two traps in series
  2. pump from wm pressurizing the sewage pipes
  3. no vent for the wm, tho your sketch would solve that.
  4. The upper left of your photo has a non-shield rubber coupler. That should be shielded (metal band around the rubber).
Your new design

1. should have a p-trap at the kitchen sink. There may be one already, since your photo and diagram don't show that area.
  2. should have the kitchen waste join the waste pipe after the vents.
  3. should keep the pipe after the kitchen p-trap horizontal (1 inch/ft drop) until the vent. Instead of your new wye, you need a sanitary tee.
Maybe you could bring the kitchen waste into about where your rubber coupler is. What is that line that joins in right below the rubber coupler? I am not a plumber.
There is a p-trap under the kitchen sink. It comes into the basement as 1 1/2. I will increase that to 2" right below the floor joists and slope it 1" per foot to the other side of the house where it will meet the waste pipe.

Fxsrider

Reaction score
So after several hours of gnawing away at 50' out, I got this to blow back into the basement with a garden hose shoved in. I still have not reached the blockage. The night is still young :)
sewage.jpg

Last edited:

Fxsrider

Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to update you folks with what happened along the way but here it is in a nutshell. After numerous attempts to clear the main line I was standing outside talking with the tenant and looked down to see a small piece of orangeburg pipe. It had rained and I could see the edge of it. Poking around I found more of it in the front yard. I called the company that had recently laid a new natural gas pipeline across the front yard. Referred me to call the gas company, they came out and dug it back up to look. This is what we found.

I added the upset cartoon character.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I'm glad I didn't try a more aggressive cutter.

89526079_2621752741431404_5164075145484042240_n.jpg

Attachments

• Busted sewer main.jpg
    Busted sewer main.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Busted sewer main.jpg
    Busted sewer main.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 121
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks