Tub is lower hot water temp., than what is set@ WH thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

bikeboy

Reaction score
Hot water @whirlpool tub spicket reads 90 deg. , when 50 gallon electric water heater elements are both set @ 120 deg. ; and tub spicket is 110 deg. , when water heater therm. is set @140. Both Thermostats shut-off their elements , and both test with good continuity, no short to ground nor an open. Before I add another water heater, i'd like to have an opinion what could be wrong.,

Thank you;

Howie...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Those tiny little dials with the set screw are not that accurate. Test the water temp at the faucet closest to the WH. Slowly turn up each thermostat, allow time for the water to heat up, maybe twenty minutes, and check the temp. I once had to move the dial to about 129 to get 120 degree water.

These thermostats sit on top of the steel tank, they are are not immersed in water. As you run water, some heat is lost through the pipes. Ambient room temperature of the water heater can affect the set point temperature.

Depending on the age, these thermostats do go out of calibration and they are easy and cheap to replace. It is also possible that one of your heating elements is out and you are running the water before it can reach temperature. Hard to say with the limited information we have.

Do you know your tub/shower valve body is?

Last edited:

bikeboy

Reaction score
Those tiny little dials with the set screw are not that accurate. Test the water temp at the faucet closest to the WH. Slowly turn up each thermostat, allow time for the water to heat up, maybe twenty minutes, and check the temp. I once had to move the dial to about 129 to get 120 degree water.

These thermostats sit on top of the steel tank, they are are not immersed in water. As you run water, some heat is lost through the pipes. Ambient room temperature of the water heater can affect the set point temperature.

Depending on the age, these thermostats do go out of calibration and they are easy and cheap to replace. It is also possible that one of your heating elements is out and you are running the water before it can reach temperature. Hard to say with the limited information we have.

Do you know your tub/shower valve body is?

The valve body is of a Delta whirlpool type with separate diverters. There seems to quite a differential between the two points . The water heater is only a few feet away from the tub. The elements are drawing 4.5 kw each, and switch over as needed. I am able to barely make a fill in the summer months, but I doubt it would in winter. there's probably quite a temp drop in the ground water. city water hookup long distance to street, and shallow (Tennessee). I thought of a tempering tank (another heater) ahead for cold months. I have a second water heater opposite side of house, and trying to figure a way to tap it to that tub line (combine flows) w/o a circulator.

HR....

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A single handle tub filler is unlikely to deliver 100% hot water as it will blend in a little bit of cold water even when turned all the way over to hot. Some valves have a setting inside to control the upper limit.

bikeboy

Reaction score
A single handle tub filler is unlikely to deliver 100% hot water as it will blend in a little bit of cold water even when turned all the way over to hot. Some valves have a setting inside to control the upper limit.

There are separate hot and cold valves with a single spout.
HR...

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
WorthFlorida gave you the answer: the thermostats are not that accurate.
Similarly, you oven temp is not that accurate.
If you want your water hotter, raise the thermostat knobs up to the desired temp. But why do you want 140 degrees?

bikeboy

Reaction score
WorthFlorida gave you the answer: the thermostats are not that accurate.
Similarly, you oven temp is not that accurate.
If you want your water hotter, raise the thermostat knobs up to the desired temp. But why do you want 140 degrees?

I'm trying to get at least 105-110deg at the tubs hot side, then I can mix cold in. Therm. set @140 gets me 110deg. in summer. Since the WH is only a 50 gall. , the tanks capacity is at it's threshold for that given temp. I'd rather not go higher, tried it once , and in the winter , the colder incoming water wouldn't allow the therm. to shut the upper element off, and couldn't fill tub. HR...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'd rather not go higher, tried it once , and in the winter , the colder incoming water wouldn't allow the therm. to shut the upper element off...
Something else must be wrong then. The incoming water is supposed to be directed to the bottom of the tank. Maybe that tube has disintegrated? That is a known issue with some tanks.

A tempering valve installed at the tank outlet is a safer way to get more capacity from a HWT by reducing scalding risk.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where I live, a tempering valve is required on any new or replacement WH install.

You should have one any time your aquastat is set over 120-degrees, regardless of local rules.

To 'lose' a huge amount of heat on a pipe run would seem to require a run through unconditioned, uninsulated space, likely with a lot of air intrusion. The other, more common situation is something that is allowing a cross-over, so you're never getting full hot from the WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks