Toilet horn wobble

Users who are viewing this thread

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
I am setting a toilet and have a wobble issue. At first I was just going to shim and call it good. I then noticed the toilet horn is wobbling on top of the 3" pipe that's glued in the flange. I was thinking of using an internal pipe reamer and taking out a little at a time until it sets in hole with no wobble. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Any other ideas?

20191007_214609.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am setting a toilet and have a wobble issue. At first I was just going to shim and call it good. I then noticed the toilet horn is wobbling on top of the 3" pipe that's glued in the flange.
Could be that the closet flange is not glued to the pipe. That would be good, because it would let you put in a better closet flange with a stainless steel ring.

By toilet horn, are you referring to the 3 inch pipe in your photo?

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
Could be that the closet flange is not glued to the pipe. That would be good, because it would let you put in a better closet flange with a stainless steel ring.

By toilet horn, are you referring to the 3 inch pipe in your photo?
I am referring to the horn on the bottom of the toilet that sticks out. That is what it's wobbling on. It appears that the pipe isn't trimmed low enough.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The flange needs to be screwed down to the floor. If it isn't when you tightening the bolts you're pulling the flange up instead of pulling the toilet down.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am referring to the horn on the bottom of the toilet that sticks out. That is what it's wobbling on. It appears that the pipe isn't trimmed low enough.
A rasp would be a good tool to trim the pipe shorter. If you still rock with a no-wax test, use shims. If you use shims, and will use wax, test the placement of the shims first with no wax. Then lift the toilet, place the wax, and drop the toilet on the wax. Lifting compressed wax by rocking will mess up the seal.
The flange needs to be screwed down to the floor. If it isn't, when you tighten the closet bolts you're pulling the flange up instead of pulling the toilet down.
Good point.

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
The flange is screwed down securely.

I was going to try one of these reamers for a 3 inch pipe.
16787p.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I was going to try one of these reamers for a 3 inch pipe.
That would work well. It would save you from having to spend an active 10 minutes (or leisurely hour) with a $10 half-round rasp.
nicholson-files-23859lnn-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
Just finished the job. The reamer worked well. Had a lot less wobble. Still needed shims though.
20191008_162008.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks