PVC directly connected to well

Users who are viewing this thread

RSNovi

Reaction score
Hi All,

They install the well tap for my irrigation system. I noticed they connected PVC directly to the well pipe. I didn’t think you were supposed to do this. Please let me know. Picture attached.

Attachments

• 4C7E621E-968E-444D-9601-5B9929392FA7.jpeg
    4C7E621E-968E-444D-9601-5B9929392FA7.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 201

RSNovi

Reaction score
The company came back to me after my initial question and offered to replace the PVC with PEX. Should I agree to have them do it? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
If these are subject to sun, I would protect both PEX and PVC from UV.

If this is indoors, I am not sure. There is this code thing where you now are not supposed to use pvc in inhabited indoors (I am not sure of the precise wording), which is a bit odd IMO, but that's the code. I think in practice PVC before the pressure tank is probably treated as OK. I am not a pro.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
PVC cannot be used inside the home for domestic water use. PVC fittings are Schedule 40 and the pipe needs to be Schedule 40. If it is other than Schedule 40 then get it changed out. In Florida, sold is a very thin PVC for irrigation use (its cheap) and there is no schedule printed on the pipe. It might read 160PSI or other coded alpha characters. This break very easy when bumped after several years in the ground and I hate them. I always replace them even when making short length repairs with SCH 40. Not sure what is used in MI.

https://www.mcgarryandmadsen.com/Bl...VC_be_used_for_water_pipe_inside_a_house.html
The reason for not allowing PVC for distribution pipe is that it is not rated to withstand the thermal expansion stress caused by hot water. Even cold water pipe inside a home can end up with hot water in it, because the heat inside a water heater transfers backward through the water in the cold water supply pipe. If you wrapped your hands around both the hot and cold pipes at the top of a water heater, it would difficult to tell them apart based on their temperature near where they penetrate the tank.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
My well guys in Florida always use threaded schedule 80 with threads wrapped with teflon tape at well heads and jet pump outlets. Then transition to schedule 40. The thread3d schedule 80 (Gray) is a more substantial pipe and tolerates heat, pressure and vibration much better.

Here are a few examples.

CFdBVtPl.jpg

ZmbB23sl.jpg

66qFh13l.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks