Older widespread sink valve rebuild

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick17032

Reaction score
I have a older widespread sink valve that is leaking out of the top. It’s all one piece and I’m have trouble figuring out how to fix/rebuild it. It has a screw I can see on the bottom and what looks like a square drive part that may unscrew. I also see threads at the top. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 174

Reach4

Reaction score
The thing with the square is a valve seat. Replacing that plus the washer would address leaking when the faucet is off.

Is your main leaking occurring where your your 4th finger is on this picture? That would be due to packing. I don't know how to fix the packing, but I suspect it is done with the stem off.

51213-5df32e60f275ee9939d2d4391c792d85.jpg

Nick17032

Reaction score
The thing with the square is a valve seat. Replacing that plus the washer would address leaking when the faucet is off.

Is your main leaking occurring where your your 4th finger is on this picture? That would be due to packing. I don't know how to fix the packing, but I suspect it is done with the stem off.

51213-5df32e60f275ee9939d2d4391c792d85.jpg

Yes. As I turn the water on, it starts coming out of the top (where my 4th finger is). For the life of me I can’t figure out how to take it apart to even start to figure out how to fix it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
For the life of me o can’t forgive out how to take it apart to even start to figure out how to fix it.
I would show a photo of the removed stem. One thought I had is that maybe you could remove the handle, and then unscrew and pull the stem out of the bottom. That would expose the packing, I would think. I have not seen packing done that way, but you don't appear to have a packing nut.

Nick17032

Reaction score
I would show a photo of the removed stem. One thought I had is that maybe you could remove the handle, and then unscrew and pull the stem out of the bottom. That would expose the packing, I would think. I have not seen packing done that way, but you don't appear to have a packing nut.

Thanks for the response. I can figure out how to get the stem out. I have taken the handle off and tried twisting and pulling with no budging. I’ve removed the screw on the inside bottom, but that only seems to hold a rubber washer on the bottom. It doesn’t look like I can remove the stem from the bottom as the hole is to small (even if the square drive was removed). There is a larger shaft in there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 179

Reach4

Reaction score
If you use a good open-end wrench, can you unscrew the piece near the leak while holding the bulb area of the casting with a big vice? It looks like that might separate at the top of the threads.

The big nut under the washer turns freely, I presume.

Nick17032

Reaction score
If you use a good open-end wrench, can you unscrew the piece near the leak while holding the bulb area of the casting with a big vice? It looks like that might separate at the top of the threads.

The big nut under the washer turns freely, I presume.

Yes the big nut spins freely. I just tried your recommendations again with no luck. To me it looks like it is all one piece. I see no breaks in the body where if would unscrew. This thing has me puzzled.
The only markings on it look like a 13 stamped in the threads

Attachments

• 51BCAB9F-8D96-4056-98FA-D26BCA27A878.jpeg
    51BCAB9F-8D96-4056-98FA-D26BCA27A878.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 184
  • B8C9D831-3162-4568-B36D-0FA4E373D53E.jpeg
    B8C9D831-3162-4568-B36D-0FA4E373D53E.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 188

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was there a nut that was around the stem that threaded into the internal threads that my have been pushing on that brass washer(pic#3)? seems that is where the packing would be.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The small nut just below the handle needs to be removed to access the stem.

Nick17032

Reaction score
The small nut just below the handle needs to be removed to axes the stem.

I also assumed that was a nut too, but it doesn’t budge and on closer inspection I don’t see any break below it. It looks to be all one piece.

Attachments

• F6F458AA-DCB2-4B17-A946-CA7CF428BE58.jpeg
    F6F458AA-DCB2-4B17-A946-CA7CF428BE58.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 176

Reach4

Reaction score
Those are inside threads? Any notches or features down there?
img_1.jpg

Nick17032

Reaction score
Was there a nut that was around the stem that threaded into the internal threads that my have been pushing on that brass washer(pic#3)? seems that is where the packing would be.

I don’t think any screwed in off of memory. The is a dome that screws over it. I’m at work and don’t have that piece so I’ll have to look at it tomorrow when I get home. Here is a picture of the whole thing.

Attachments

• 2DDB22E8-FE69-424F-801F-1EF411D21D6B.jpeg
    2DDB22E8-FE69-424F-801F-1EF411D21D6B.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 179

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I don’t think any screwed in off of memory. The is a dome that screws over it. I’m at work and don’t have that piece so I’ll have to look at it tomorrow when I get home. Here is a picture of the whole thing.

It will unscrew. It may take two wrenches one to hold back as you remove the nut. It would have been easier if you didn't remove it from the sink.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes inside threads and under the brass washer is a rubber bushing.
Then the dome screws into there? I would think to add some packing cord around the shaft under the brass washer. After the brass washer is placed back, screw the dome in, and hope that the packing cord gets squished to form a good seal.

I like the white PTFE type, and others have a preference for the black graphite-impregnated type.

I am wondering if you pulled the seat from the casting, if the stem would not pull down to allow you to access the washer, and maybe packing...

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll have my parts guy look at the fixture pic.. looks a lot newer than "Old"... I recognize that fixture as a Moen or Grohe perhaps but more likely Moen. I would guess its a mid 80's to early 90's install.

some searching on my end has produced no similar products.. mostly cuz all pics are current offerings. Parts guy is out to lunch, but I bet he will recognize it right away.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks