Diff between a boiler drain value and garden valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
LeeNat said:
Is there a reason this is done?

Sure. Who'd go looking for a "garden valve" to put at the bottom of their boiler? And
who'd want to hook their garden hose up to a "boiler drain valve"? Not me!

LeeNat

Reaction score
Hmm, I was hoping to learn something Terry. Are you aware or know if there is an actual physical or construction difference?

Reach4

Reaction score
Garden valve would have some other features that a boiler drain would lack, including a vacuum breaker.

I don't know the term garden valve. Lawn hydrant would include freeze resistant drain feature.

LeeNat

Reaction score
Garden valve would have some other features that a boiler drain would lack, including a vacuum breaker.

I don't know the term garden valve. Lawn hydrant would include freeze resistant drain feature.
Oh Ok. Well I guess I'd just go with the garden valve then as maybe the washing machine might need a valve
with a vacuum breaker. Thanks so much!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer doesn't need a vacuum breaker on it. A garden faucet would need the breaker to prevent siphon water from irrigation and hoses used for watering.

A boiler drain doesn't have a vacuum breaker and tend to output at a right angle while many faucets for garden hoses will have an angle away from the home. Any set rules on the angle thing though? Not sure.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A boiler drain is a valve that typically or historically would have been installed to drain a large volume of water quickly. They can open up so much in fact that you will notice a signifigant drop in water pressure in some homes. While i've never heard the term "garden valve" I would guess that is as others have guessed, a hose spigot for using to water lawns, wash cars etc.. those would typically be installed with a vacuum breaker to prevent any contaminants from being siphoned back into the drinking water. A yard hydrant is a valve that is typically free standing in a yard, has a vacuum breaker and has its frost free shut off and drain down below the frost line underground. We typically install these attached to a post and with a double check valve assembly since the drain that is connected to the valve is under ground and can become contaminated as well.

LeeNat

Reaction score
A boiler drain is a valve that typically or historically would have been installed to drain a large volume of water quickly. They can open up so much in fact that you will notice a signifigant drop in water pressure in some homes. While i've never heard the term "garden valve" I would guess that is as others have guessed, a hose spigot for using to water lawns, wash cars etc.. those would typically be installed with a vacuum breaker to prevent any contaminants from being siphoned back into the drinking water. A yard hydrant is a valve that is typically free standing in a yard, has a vacuum breaker and has its frost free shut off and drain down below the frost line underground. We typically install these attached to a post and with a double check valve assembly since the drain that is connected to the valve is under ground and can become contaminated as well.

Darn, that info was great. Really appreciate you taking the time to inform me.

LeeNat

Reaction score
The washer doesn't need a vacuum breaker on it. A garden faucet would need the breaker to prevent siphon water from irrigation and hoses used for watering.

A boiler drain doesn't have a vacuum breaker and tend to output at a right angle while many faucets for garden hoses will have an angle away from the home. Any set rules on the angle thing though? Not sure.

OK great thanks.

Fillage

Reaction score
There isn't such a big difference between them. First of all, Boiler drains have the outlet at 90 degrees from the handle. While Garden valves have the outlet pointing "backward" at a degree angle, and hose bibbs have the outlet pointing forwards at an angle. I am not a professional in this field, and I can't tell you too much about this. But I suggest you search on the internet for more. Visit https://www.growgardener.com/best-weed-puller/, and I am sure you'll find a proper answer to your question here.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
The better boiler drains have a 200 lb spec where a hose bib doesn't. Steam boiler would use a valve with a 600 wog rating, 175lb max pressure
( Wog- water, .oil ,gas)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
different names , configurations , subtle differences, major quality differences, and preference. boiler drains , sill cocks , hose bibs, garden valves. Some like 1/4 turn , some got a small hole and don't flow much , I usually look them over if something is important to me. I would expect a boiler drain might flow better and be better choice if this is something important. I wouldn't get too caught up on the name though.
don't forget lead free might be a spec important they all can be found either way

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks