Help with Hot water heater, luke warm and no pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rivendel

Reaction score
Suddenly today the hot water pressure at all the faucets was reduced and the water itself is warm but not hot. I went to the hot water heater and it's running non-stop even though the hot water hadn't been used in a couple of hours. Its a gas heater...when I pushed on the tank it didn't feel like it was full. Please help I have no idea what is wrong

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
VERY CAREFULLY test the T&P Valve stand to one side when pulling the lever and and see if any water spurts out

If not turn the dial to vacation and call a licensed plumber right away

Rivendel

Reaction score
Suddenly today the hot water pressure at all the facets was reduced and the water itself is warm but not hot. I went to the hot water heater and it's running non-stop even though the hot water hadn't been used in a couple of hours. Its a gas heater...when I pushed on the tank it didn't feel like it was full. Pleae help I have no idea what is wrong
VERY CAREFULLY test the T&P Valve stand to one side when pulling the lever and and see if any water spurts out

If not turn the dial to vacation and call a licensed plumber right away
I don't know what you're talking about....I did finally go out and turn the pilot off and shut off the valve on the gas line. That stopped heating portion, but there is still a noise coming maybe from one of the water lines. At least the gas is off the the flames out...it was running non-stop. I'm at a loss.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Feel the cold water line going to the tank it it is COLD and no faucets on you have a busted pipe or a leaking tank

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I got a call one time about the same thing. Only luke warm water to the home, and the gas flames were in an uproar.
As I got out of my van and walked down the driveway, I could hear water running. The sound was like a river in a forest. When I got my first look at the water heater, I could see water rushing out of the pan and down the drain. It was a full fledged tank rupture and a good thing there was a pan to catch and drain all the water. Without the drain pan the carpets in the first floor would have been soaked.

I've also had something similar with a pipe leak where the water heater wasn't keeping up. One was a leak below ground. You could see the water meter spinning, but no sign of water anywhere. It must have been making it's way below ground to Puget Sound.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks