Crack in ABS shower drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Djarchow

Reaction score
Getting ready for rough inspection on my basement finish. Last thing to do was glue in the trap for the shower. The drain pipe was roughed in when we built the house 15 years ago. The angle and position in the hole the plumbers left in the slab was not great and I had to cut/break out some concrete to get enough pipe showing to glue the trap to. I was cutting the pipe today with a bladed PVC pipe cutter and the blade got out of the track and started crushing the pipe instead of cutting it all the way through but since it was down below the slab I didn't see it. Long story short the abs cracked. I have about a 2" crack in the ABS.

I have attached pics of the crack and the pipe from above. I don't really have any room to cut out the cracked area and patch in new without taking out more concrete. There is enough room under the edge of the slab where I could glue on two repair couplings and still have room to glue on the trap wier. I know this is a hack way to do it but would the repair couplings and the trap hub seal up the crack?

Thanks for any advice.

Dennis

Attachments

• abs_crack2.jpg
    abs_crack2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 228
  • abs_crack.jpg
    abs_crack.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 246

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can remove enough of the underlying gravel/soil to fix it. Once the pipe is fixed just pack the soil back in and tamp it all tight.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There is a cutter that cuts the pipe from the inside. Cut the pipe below the crack glue on a coupling with a section of pipe to the height you need.

Djarchow

Reaction score
You can remove enough of the underlying gravel/soil to fix it. Once the pipe is fixed just pack the soil back in and tamp it all tight.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Do you mean cut out the cracked part and patch in a new piece? If so I would need to cut the pipe about in the middle of that circle of dirt on the pipe in the top view pic. I checked and I can't get a sawzall blade in there because of the concrete (the angle in the picture makes it look like there is a lot more room than there is.

Again thanks!

Djarchow

Reaction score
Can you say inside cutter?
John,
I must have been typing my reply to Cacher_Chick at the same time you were posting your first response.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had seen those before but didn't even think of that here. It probably didn't help that I had some repair couplings lying right next to the shower and that colored my thinking.

I will pick one up and give it a try. Have a great holiday!

Regards, Dennis

Reach4

Reaction score
If some crack will remain after shortening, I suspect a regular glued coupling would be better than a repair coupling for strengthening the pipe. I am not a plumber

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks