Apartment AC drain line, washer, kitchen sink all backed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Saratonin

Reaction score
It seems as though in my first floor apartment the kitchen sink, dishwasher, and garbage disposal are all connected as they should be. However, the kitchen sink (double sink) began backing up terribly. If I run the garbage disposal it empties one side of the sink into the other. I took apart all of the pipes under the sink and cleaned them and the problem continues.

Here's where it gets even more interesting/frustrating : food waste seems to have exploded into my ac drain line. Somehow. I walked back my hallway and the whole hall was flooded coming from under the ac. I don't know how, but there are tiny bits of food (like has gone through the garbage disposal) all in this water. I took the drain line apart and water drained out from the sink (but not the whole way empty). If I turn the sink on while the ac drain line is disconnected it drains out.

Another fun aspect - when I turn my washer on the kitchen sink fills up.

Any advice? I've taken apart and cleaned everything I can get to. I'm so confused.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At this point you may need to bring someone in to snake the sink.
The fact that your pipes are filling with food matter, may implicate the disposer, as perhaps being too old to currently chip up those food bits you toss into it carelessly. Many disposers are good for 8-10 years, and then the blades become too dull to make mince meat of what you're tossing.

The serial number will show how old it is.

Saratonin

Reaction score
At this point you may need to bring someone in to snake the sink.
The fact that your pipes are filling with food matter, may implicate the disposer, as perhaps being too old to currently chip up those food bits you toss into it carelessly. Many disposers are good for 8-10 years, and then the blades become too dull to make mince meat of what you're tossing.

The serial number will show how old it is.
The apartments were built just 5 years ago. I use the garbage disposal very sparingly, but I can't say the same for my husband or son. The food bits are very, very tiny. I'm going to go beg my apartment manager to send in an actual plumber instead of just our complex's maintenance man. We have had trouble with the ac drain line at least once a year since we moved in even though I clean it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks