OVER-SIZED PUMP/UNDER-SIZED WIRE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzman

Reaction score
I was helped on this site sizing pump for low -producing well that is 358’ deep. I ordered 3/4 hp 5 gpm Flowise submersible and #12 gauge wire. However, the supplier substituted a 1 hp 5 gpm pump without telling me. The 1 hp pump is rated maximum for 400’ for #12 wire and I’m at about 420’ from sub-panel. I’m way out in the country ready to install but wondering if I should hold off and get correct pump. Also, I’m pumping into storage tank and I will have only 25 gallons of water above pump in casing. Is this 1 hp pump too big?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
740 ft of #12 is even too light for 3/4 HP.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi, the distance from sub panel to pump is 420’ not 740’.
Ahh... You were including ~ 338 (down to the pump) in your number 420 number. I misinterpreted.

Yes, the AIM manual says #12 is good for 400 ft with 1 HP vs 480 for 3/4 HP. Also, you may need to account for drop to the subpanel. I am not sure. It's close, but the AIM manual numbers would have some margin built in.

A 3-wire pump will draw less power through the breaker during starts and if it has a run capacitor also, it draws a little less power while running. The AIM manual does not seem to get that nuanced in Table 11.

Jazzman

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the detailed clarification. It is a 3-wire Pump. I also thought that it is important to size pump to well recovery rate and my well recovery is not quite 1 gpm. Bigger isn’t necessarily better from what I’ve read. It am at remote cabin with pump in hand, so I’m tempted to drop it in well...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks