New well pump pressure surge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rod M1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with my new Goulds j10s. It seems to build pressure well if not using any water but shortly after the pump hits cut-on pressure when using the sprinkler it will drop from 30psi to like 20psi with surges to 30psi. I'm using 1 oscillating lawn sprinkler trying to use 2 will drop the pressure to 0. Dues it sound like a bad pump anyway to trouble shoot this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with my new Goulds j10s. It seems to build pressure well if not using any water but shortly after the pump hits cut-on pressure when using the sprinkler it will drop from 30psi to like 20psi with surges to 30psi. I'm using 1 oscillating lawn sprinkler trying to use 2 will drop the pressure to 0. Dues it sound like a bad pump anyway to trouble shoot this?
Could the well be running short of water?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Jet pumps use pressure to make more pressure. If you set the cut-in too close to the tank's precharge, the diaphragm in the tank might bottom out before the pump is up to speed. Try setting the cut-in a little higher. If you draw more than the pump/well can produce it can nose-dive.
You might try cleaning the jet in case it is partially clogged as that will affect the volume and pressure the pump can produce.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You should have 25-28 PSI air in the tank. When the pressure drops below 28 the bladder in the tank bottoms out and causes the surge. Either the pump is worn and not giving you two sprinklers worth of water or the well is not producing as much as it should.

Rod M1

Reaction score
Thanks guy's I think the well might be the problem. We sprinkled like normal and it did ok today pressure whose more stable but I see gauge is bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks