Tub wont fit. 3/4" too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
There must have been a flaw in the tub, because its 60 3/4 inches. There's an excess fiberglass build up on both lip ends. Like 1/2". What can I use to sand them down? Would a block and 80 grit sand paper work

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I ran into that before with an acrylic tub. It was never trimmed off at the factory, and yet they shipped it. I wound up trimming back the wood studs in the room to allow myself the fit it in the alcove. Then I had to go back and fir out the wall afterwards. Should I have sanded, or cut, or bitten off the extra that hadn't been factory cut? I wasn't sure I could cut it cleanly enough. I did wind up getting it set though.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
My first inclination would be to contact the supplier/manufacturer and have them come to pick it up, while at the same time delivering a new tub that is actually the size that was originally ordered. If you aren't interested in waiting around, I would probably do what Terry suggested above and notch the studs with an oscillating multi-tool. Alternatively, you could use an angle grinder with a zip disk to chop off the excess, though doing this (or performing any kind of alteration of the fixture) would technically void the manufacturer's warranty.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Come to think of it, there was a second tub I installed that had the same issue again. We trimmed the studs on that one too. Same brand of tub.
No, I won't say. I'm hoping it's a rare thing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you will need to cut off the tiling flange, you'll either need to notch the studs, or try to get a new one that is actually the right size! A belt sander would probably take off the excess fairly quickly.

What is your actual opening size? They may have made it smaller to match the tub you had in there. They usually are slightly smaller than the 60" so that they can fit into that space without binding.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ran into that before with an acrylic tub. It was never trimmed off at the factory, and yet they shipped it. I wound up trimming back the wood studs in the room to allow myself the fit it in the alcove. Then I had to go back and fir out the wall afterwards. Should I have sanded, or cut, or bitten off the extra that hadn't been factory cut? I wasn't sure I could cut it cleanly enough. I did wind up getting it set though.
They sanded both ends down a bit, but still didn't fit. I notched out the framing and all went good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks