Considering adding a bathtub - what could go wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
My wife has wanted a bathtub in this bathroom for a long time.

I've been thinking about this project for a while and I'm think it seems pretty straightforward. What could go wrong?

Right, now, I have a tile floor [I installed, with heated flooring system] The tile ends at the edge of the existing shower. There is a small closet in the bathroom and the existing water supply lines go up the wall between the shower and the closet. I have worked on the shower drain from underneath about 7 years ago when there was a leak. I can access it from below without too much trouble.

It seems to me that I just need to tear out the existing shower floor, take down the wall between the shower/closet, redirect the water supply lines (using PEX) to come out of a new wall a bit to the right, and also re-locate the drain to where it will go for the bathtub. There's room to add a bathtub. We will lose all or most of the existing closet, but wife is ok with that if she gets her tub.

What am I missing?

IMG_20190813_063500095.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190813_063500095 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190813_063500095 (1).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 170

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It should work. Note, there are tubs with the drain on the ends, but also some with it in the middle which might mean less plumbing work.

Also note that, depending on how tall you are, if you're going to go into the closet already, consider using a tub longer than the standard 60", which, in my case, is woefully too small to be comfortable. They come in 6" increments (not all brands, but some). I ended up with a 72" tub, and really would have loved a 78" one, but it just wasn't to be in the space I had. Bigger does, though, mean your water heater may be inadequate.

Dprocket

Reaction score
My wife has wanted a bathtub in this bathroom for a long time.

I've been thinking about this project for a while and I'm think it seems pretty straightforward. What could go wrong?

Right, now, I have a tile floor [I installed, with heated flooring system] The tile ends at the edge of the existing shower. There is a small closet in the bathroom and the existing water supply lines go up the wall between the shower and the closet. I have worked on the shower drain from underneath about 7 years ago when there was a leak. I can access it from below without too much trouble.

It seems to me that I just need to tear out the existing shower floor, take down the wall between the shower/closet, redirect the water supply lines (using PEX) to come out of a new wall a bit to the right, and also re-locate the drain to where it will go for the bathtub. There's room to add a bathtub. We will lose all or most of the existing closet, but wife is ok with that if she gets her tub.

What am I missing?

IMG_20190813_063500095.jpg
Currently, my water supply comes in on the right hand side (by the closet). I'm considering relocating that water supply to come in from the other wall (which goes up against the outside of the house). Is there a reason NOT to do it that way?

Noted on the tub length, I'd like something a little longer too, although I rarely plan to use it. But I will be showering in the room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks