Water pressure switch/tank HELPPPP

Users who are viewing this thread

tskstorm

Reaction score

This keeps happening, the water will run, then stop, then start again .. this is what happens on the pressure gauge. I am by no means a plumber, but pretty handy, Switch was just replaced, No other info on pump/well but there is always water, so I think it might be a tank issue ? tank has 38 psi air when empty, switch is 40/60.

Reach4

Reaction score
If your pressure switch does not have a lever, it would seem to be a pump issue. Is there power going to the pump after the gauge falls to zero?

From when the pump stops until it starts again, how much time goes by?

tskstorm

Reaction score
If your pressure switch does not have a lever, it would seem to be a pump issue. Is there power going to the pump after the gauge falls to zero?

From when the pump stops until it starts again, how much time goes by?

There is no lever on the pressure switch, switch is brand new. Frankly I do not know where the pump is, as you can see I have limited access, this system is in a closet the size of a High school Locker. There is Power at all terminals at the pressure switch at all times. 30 seconds to 1 minute from the time it gets to 0 till water starts again.

Reach4

Reaction score
On the pressure switch, is there 240 volts between terminal 1 and 4 at all times?
Is there 240 volts between terminal 2 and 3 at all times?

I presume the pump is in the well.

Start asking your neighbors who is a good well guy.

tskstorm

Reaction score
1 and 3 has 240, 2 and 4 has 0 (current pressure gauge reads 60) 1 and 4 has 110, and 2 and 3 also has 110.

Reach4

Reaction score
2 and 3 also has 110.
Just to confirm, if you hold the red probe on 1 and the black probe on 3, you get 240?

If you hold the red probe on 2 and the black probe on 3, you get 110?

If you hold the red probe on 2 and the black probe on 4, you get 0?

Is that what you are saying?

That would imply that the lines from the breaker are wired between 1 and 3. The pump is wired on 2 and 4. So when you are checking the voltage to the pump, check between 2 and 4.

When the pressure drops to zero as it did in your video, what is the voltage 2--4?

Last edited:

tskstorm

Reaction score
Just to confirm, if you hold the red probe on 1 and the black probe on 3, you get 240?

If you hold the red probe on 2 and the black probe on 3, you get 110?

If you hold the red probe on 2 and the black probe on 4, you get 0?

Is that what you are saying?

That would imply that the lines from the breaker are wired between 1 and 3. The pump is wired on 2 and 4. So when you are checking the voltage to the pump, check between 2 and 4.

When the pressure drops to zero as it did in your video, what is the voltage 2--4?

I have changed nothing since our last reply, but I can not get the gauge to drop to 0, currently it is working like it should. cutting in and out at 40/60.

I will be back if it doesn't continue to work!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The cutting in and out at 40 and 60 is called cycling, and will cause your pump to start tripping an overload. These overloads in motor take 30-60 seconds to cool down and reset. If it is tripping the overload you need to be saving money quickly for a new pump.

tskstorm

Reaction score
Maybe I used the wrong term, currently can fill my bathtub/take a shower without the water flow stopping, like it previously was. The pressure gauge starts at 60 psi, when it gets down to 40psi, it steadily goes back up to 60, stays there for a few moments, and then repeats ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Maybe I used the wrong term, currently can fill my bathtub/take a shower without the water flow stopping, like it previously was. The pressure gauge starts at 60 psi, when it gets down to 40psi, it steadily goes back up to 60, stays there for a few moments, and then repeats ?

That is called cycling. The pump is still cycling between 40 and 60 while you are filling the tub or taking a shower, which will cause it to trip the overload and the water will stop as you have seen. Once it starts tripping the overload the motor is on borrowed time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks, what should it be doing ?
Pumps are made to run continuously. It is the cycling on and off that destroys them. It is best for the pump to stay on the entire time you are in the shower, filling a tub, or using water for anything longer term than flushing and washing hands.

tskstorm

Reaction score
My take on this is it is working as designed, just not as efficiently as it could with a csv?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The design is to put only enough quality in pumps/motors to last an average of 7 years worth of cycling. The fewer times it cycles on and off the longer the pump system will last. If it is already tripping the overload occasionally, you have already used up just about all your cycles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks