Back-to-back WCs with upstream tub and shower. What's wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nathan Ladd

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help explain to me if something is wrong with my plumbing configuration and why. (And maybe even the relevant code sections). The attached diagram will probably explain this better, but I have a 3" horizontal drain branch off my main 3" stack. Starting downstream and working up, I have a 2" lav drain and vent vertically connected to the 3" branch, then a 3" double wye connection back-to-back WCs, a reducer from 3" to 2", then a 1-1/2" drain for a second floor tub (tub has separate dedicated 1-1/2" dry vent), a 2" dry shower vent and finally a 2" shower drain (with a clean out on the end).

I'm in Vancouver, WA and must adhere to the 2015 UPC. I failed inspection because the inspector said I could not have the 1-1/2" upstairs tub draining upstream of my WCs and that I needed to move it down stream of the WCs. I though I did the proper research and that my configuration was ok. The inspector didn't say anything about the upstream 2" shower drain though and I'm wondering if he just didn't notice it or if because the 1-1/2" drain is on a different level if that's the issue. He also mention that my back-to-back WC was technically in violation too, but said he would let it pass, any thoughts on why he made that comment? Appreciate any insights, thanks!

Attachments

• nocdpcdfimlkjokm.png
    nocdpcdfimlkjokm.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The issue is the WC venting, as everything else is individually vented. By not individually venting the WCs, you are relying on the horizontal wet venting rules [908.2]. Those rules say that only a single bathroom group can use a horizontal wet vent. That means the wet vented portion (between the WC and the lavatory) should only have one WC on it, and no fixtures from upper floors.

So you could fix this by individually venting each WC before the double wye. Or you could taking advantage of the leniency the inspector offered you to have two WCs on the wet vent, and just reroute the upstairs bathtub drain.

Cheers, Wayne

Nathan Ladd

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Wayne. So there isn't a problem with the shower being on upstream of the WCs, but I can't have the 2nd floor tub upstream of the WCs because the WCs are wet-vented and I can only have a single bathroom group on the wet vent (and the inspector is granting leniency by allowing me to have 2 WCs on the same wet vent even though that's technically two bathroom groups).

Can I bother you for a follow-up question? It would be easiest for me to re-route the upstairs 1-1/2" drain into the 2" lav drain as shown in the attached diagram. Would that be ok or does the 1-1/2" drain have to go downstream of lav?

Thanks!

Attachments

• change.png
    change.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 304

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, the " one bathroom group wet vent theory " is based on the assumption that only one fixture will be running at a time in the bathroom group.
if you have a shower draining into a lav that is draining or a toilet that is flushing, then your vent wont work properly.

Nathan Ladd

Reaction score
Ok, I think I understand now. So there's one more, probably important detail that I've forgotten to mention. This is a 1/2 bath, and 3/4 bath configuration and the shower and a WC are in the 3/4 bath, and the lav and other WC are in the half bath. Does that mean that if the shower is draining and the 1/2 bath WC is flushed, then it's also not properly vented?

The inspector didn't say anything about the shower draining, but I wonder if he didn't even notice it? He focused in pretty quickly on the illegal upstairs tub drain and the shower drain is pretty hard to see from beneath. So is just re-routing the upstairs tub drain enough? Or I've attached another diagram which should definitely work, but it's going to be a lot harder to re-route both the shower and tub drain vs just the tub drain (second diagram)

Attachments

• shwr_and_tub_reroute.png
    shwr_and_tub_reroute.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 322
  • tub_only_reroute.png
    tub_only_reroute.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 255

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your drawings don't match. I see 3 toilets on one drawing and 2 toilets on the other and I only see 1 sink to wash your hands.
try drawing a floor plan.

Nathan Ladd

Reaction score
Hi James, you're right, my shwr and tub reroute diagram doesn't show the upstairs toilet, but that drains and vents through the main stack and isn't attached to the branch drain I'm having issues with. I've attached a floor diagram, but again, the 3/4 bath sink and upstairs sink drain and vent on their own individual branches.

Attachments

• 1st_floor.png
    1st_floor.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 2nd_floor.png
    2nd_floor.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 250

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can add a 2" toilet vent, can you connect it to each toilet fixture arm before the double wye? That would eliminate any wet venting, and you don't have to move the tub drain.

Given James's explanation of why wet venting is allowed for a bathroom group, I'd be wary of wet venting two toilets on the same wet vent, even if the inspector would let it slide.

Cheers, Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect you have an idea of how your going to do this but you just don't know how to draw it out.

Attachments

• shwr_and_tub_reroute.jpg
    shwr_and_tub_reroute.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 239
  • tub_only_reroute.jpg
    tub_only_reroute.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 271

Nathan Ladd

Reaction score
I can't add individual vents to the toilet arms before the wye, there are isn't enough space. I can have a dedicated dry vent upstream of the toilet if i reroute the shower and tub drain as shown in the diagram attached to my previous reply. I guess I'll probably have to go that route

Nathan Ladd

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. I guess I'll just try to give the inspector what he wants and reroute the upstairs tub drain down stream of the lav. Not sure how I'll do that, but I guess I'll have to figure something out

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's impossible for me to give 100% correct advice without being there but here's something for you to consider.

Attachments

• 2nd_floor.png
    2nd_floor.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 256

Nathan Ladd

Reaction score
Thanks James, that's actually a good idea and might be doable. I guess I'm still not 100% clear on why the inspector only told me to reroute the upstairs tub and not the shower that's also upstream of the WCs. Another option I just came up with that I think would be doable too (and maybe the easiest) is to add a new drain for the lav and then the existing wet vent would become a dry vent for the WCs. Diagram of that configuration attached. Do you think that would be valid? This is more in line with what Wayne was suggesting, but only a single dry vent for both WCs vs each WC getting a dedicated vent

Attachments

• wc_dry_vent.png
    wc_dry_vent.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 299
  • wc_dry_vent.png
    wc_dry_vent.png
    178 KB · Views: 245

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
He told you to reroute the tub because it goes against the theory of only one fixture at a time being used with a wet vent.
I noticed that the stack is 3". is the drain from the first floor down 4" ? it needs to be for you to be able to have 3 toilets.

Attachments

• wc_dry_vent.jpg
    wc_dry_vent.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 322

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
2015 UPC Table 703.2 Footnote 4 (which applies to 3" drain lines) says "Only four water closets or six-unit traps allowed on a vertical stack or pipe; and not to exceed three water closets or six-unit traps on a horizontal branch or drain."

Cheers, Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
2015 UPC Table 703.2 Footnote 4 (which applies to 3" drain lines) says "Only four water closets or six-unit traps allowed on a vertical stack or pipe; and not to exceed three water closets or six-unit traps on a horizontal branch or drain."

Cheers, Wayne
Your right. I should have thought longer before I spoke.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks