Updating Delta bathtub spout but wrong nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny

Reaction score
hi all,

First, thanks for the approval. This is my first post. I’m certainly a novice when it comes to most things plumbing.

I wanted to update my tub spout with a new trendy Delta but unfortunately the nipple pipe coming out of the wall isn’t right for the provider adapter.

What’s my move here? Do they make a one sided copper nipple that will thread into the faucet in the wall? I’m afraid I wouldn’t even be able to get that pipe unscrewed as it seems pretty corroded and the old spout took some serious torque to get off.

I hope I can still use the new spout.

Thanks for any help. I did try searching high and low but I kept finding the same diagram that doesn’t really show what to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,015
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 879
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 762
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 753

Danny

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do they make a nipple with two different size male threads on each end though? The spout has female threads that are bigger than the current nipple. You can see the different in size with this picture.

Attachments

• 14049C83-452A-4243-9921-2C16AFDA383B.jpeg
    14049C83-452A-4243-9921-2C16AFDA383B.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 772

Danny

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do they make a nipple with two different size male threads on each end though? The spout has female threads that are bigger than the current nipple. You can see the different in size with this picture.

I know that’s the adapter showing the comparison, but the female threads inside the spout are made for that size.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can see the different in size with this picture.
No, really we can't.

The nipple should be a nominal "1/2 inch", which would be about 0.84 od where there is no thread. What OD do you have? One way to measure is to find the circumference and divide by pi.

If you get a new nipple, it should be brass. New galvanized will rust fast.

My notes say tot size the nipple so that it stick out between 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface. I see that differs from Terry's drawing.

Danny

Reaction score
Hopefully this picture shows an accurate measurement. If not, I will find some string and try the circumference measurement.

The spout looks like it accommodates a pipe that’s over an inch in diameter.

Do they make a reducing, brass nipple that is not threaded on the end?

Attachments

• 32BD46DD-41C0-495A-9DCC-C362CF4DD8B2.jpeg
    32BD46DD-41C0-495A-9DCC-C362CF4DD8B2.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 727
  • 8BA5C99D-E08A-469B-88EA-A449334BBA5C.jpeg
    8BA5C99D-E08A-469B-88EA-A449334BBA5C.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 716

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The thread on the outside of the adapter goes into the spout. It has NOTHING to do with the size of the pipe in the wall. Your adapter WILL fit the pipe coming out of the wall once you get a shorter BRASS nipple, (in fact that is the ONLY metal pipe size that will fit it).

Danny

Reaction score
I was concentrating on figure C-2 that Terry posted- that is why I was mentioning the thread size of the adapter. Apologies for the confusion.

I’m guessing I have the wrong adapter for a brass threaded nipple and the size pipe I have. Looks like I have one for a copper slip on? There are no threads and no way the adapter will thread into this nipple or a brass nipple, so no, it will not fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 789

Reach4

Reaction score
The RP33794 slides onto a copper pipe, and has a set screw. Does yours have a set screw?
delta-diverter-tub-spout-adapter-rp33794.jpg

The adapter that can be either screwed to a nipple or soldered to a copper pipe is Delta RP12307. To use that, you can use a piece of copper pipe soldered to a threaded adapter.
delta-tub-spout-adapter-rp12307.jpg

If your adapter is neither of these, what tub spout did you buy?

Last edited:

Danny

Reaction score
I have the first one. Looks like I need the second, a RP12307 and a specific length brass nipple! Thanks for clearing that up.

Danny

Reaction score
I just want to confirm with you guys that this is indeed a half inch nipple that will allow the rp12307 adapter to thread on (once I get the appropriate brass length). The OD is clearly greater than 0.5 inches. See picture

Attachments

• 5AF19796-B330-43D0-B27D-E82F26D2761A.jpeg
    5AF19796-B330-43D0-B27D-E82F26D2761A.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 755

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is a 1/2" nipple. Remove it and measure the difference in length so that you can pick up the correct length. The new one will be shorter.
1/2" is the inside diameter, not the outside.
You can thread on your adapter and measure to see how much shorter it will need to be. That will also confirm to you that the thread from the wall is same thread as the adapter.

ringdinghy

Reaction score
I'm bumping this, I know it's been a long time, but I have another issue with this adapter. I have a similar adapter that tells me to thread on like image C-3 above, however, the inside of this adapter has no threads to go on the pipe coming from the wall... just solid flat brass. It has the threads on the outside for the tub nozzle, but not the inside to go on the nipple. wtf do I do here? Do not want to sweat it on... it's 2023.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm bumping this, I know it's been a long time, but I have another issue with this adapter. I have a similar adapter that tells me to thread on like image C-3 above, however, the inside of this adapter has no threads to go on the pipe coming from the wall... just solid flat brass. It has the threads on the outside for the tub nozzle, but not the inside to go on the nipple. wtf do I do here? Do not want to sweat it on... it's 2023.
You could contact Delta and they may opt to sell you or warranty a threaded adapter.. or just buy one online.

Delta Tub Adapter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks