Badly leaking sprinkler heads

Users who are viewing this thread

quantum

Reaction score
I had to replace a bunch of heads this spring due to damage. I replaced 2 Toro popups and 5 Orbit rotors with Rain Birds. The popups are 1800s and the rotors are 3504s.

2 of the heads (1 popup w/ the strip nozzle, and 1 rotor) leak profusely around the riser. The rotor is the last head on a 2head line, and the popup is the only head on that line. The popup doesn't even come up all the way, that's how bad its leaking.

I've unscrewed the cap on each and replaced the guts but left the body. I checked for dirt/stones and flushed the lines. All the other heads are fine.

The only other thing these 2 have in common is these lines are the 2 longest ones, approximately 70' and 75'. The lines from the valves are 3/4" poly

I never had this problem when I used the Orbits and Toros. Any ideas?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.....I've unscrewed the cap on each and replaced the guts but left the body. I checked for dirt/stones and flushed the lines....

Are you saying that you replaced the guts with a Rainbird in a Toro body or the new RainBird body? Besure the wiper seal is
intacted.

Sprinkler.jpg

quantum

Reaction score
Are you saying that you replaced the guts with a Rainbird in a Toro body or the new RainBird body? Besure the wiper seal is
intacted.

View attachment 54308

Rainbird guts in rainbird body. Seals visually seem ok. I bought them all at Home Depot. Did I happen across a bad batch or do Rainbirds just not hold up to pressue well? Never had this problem before...

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Something is not right. I’ve used orbit, hunter and rain birds both rotors and popups and all seem the same. Sometimes as the riser moves up it will squirt a little water before fully extended. For rotors I prefer hunters. For popups I do prefer rain bird since that have a better assortment of spray heads. Have any pictures?

quantum

Reaction score
I have video of both, but too large to upload here. I'll upload to my site and link them.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
For the popups is it a 2" or 4". If it is a 4" it appears that there is not enough pressure to fully extend the riser. If it is a 2" doesn't look like there is enough pressure, the spray would be fogging. It shows like it is pouring out. With pop ups there is a filter at the bottom of the spray head. Sometimes changing out sprinklers dirt get inside the poly pipe and easily plugs up the filter screens.

It's hard to say for the rotor since you cannot see exactly where the squirts are coming from. While it is on, pull the spray head or riser up to try to see if it seals against the wiper seal? Pressure may be low since it doesn't look like the riser is extended to 4 inches.

You never mentioned the water source, but to really know swap out one of these with the other brand close as possible to the water source for the highest pressure. If it still leaks, bad sprinklers, if not Rainbirds need more pressure. Rotors have several size nozzles that come with them, try the smallest one and check. A slight possibility that during this past winter the poly pipe may have a cracked during a deep freeze and it is leaking somewhere below ground. If a plastic barb was used to join two ends for this long run, that itself may have split.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 9.38.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 9.38.31 PM.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 652

quantum

Reaction score
The popup is 4". In both cases, water is leaking (pouring out) around the riser where the seal is supposed to be. Its especially bad on the popup which is why (I think) its not popping up all the way. 2 of the new Rainbirds are on a line that is 21 ft and 27ft from the manifold and they are not having a problem with the pressure.

This past winter was very mild and I always blow out the lines. The other new Rainbird rotor on the same line is fine. The popup is the only sprinkler head on its own line. And when I had a Toro there, it never leaked. I'll have to experiment with other brands I guess

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks