What's The Best Way To Unclog A Bathtub Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

NDL

Reaction score
I am almost embarrassed to write this, as my problem is seemingly small, common, and self explanatory. However :)...

We're relocating to a new City, and for the time being, plan on taking a garden apartment.

In every apartment that I have lived in, the apartment is always delivered with a partially clogged bathtub drain, loaded with hair, and God knows what else.

I'd like to avoid digging through the drain, if possible, nor do I want to deal with maintenance people, to clear the drain.

Many of the "plastic safe" drain openers are ineffective, and many "heavy duty" treatments, are not plastic safe.

I'd like to use a product that's strong enough to clear all of the hair and funk in the drain, while not having to worry about damaging the tub's finish (should a little product splash), or have to worry about plastic being damaged.

What product is safe, and works best?

TIA

Reach4

Reaction score
Pull the control and plate from the overflow. Expect that to have hair that you can pull out.

Sometimes they are too tight to pull, and sometimes you will tug for a while before success.

Wear nitrile gloves to avoid touching. I know you would prefer a chemical solution, but try mechanical. I am not a plumber.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDL

NDL

Reaction score
Pull the control and plate from the overflow. Expect that to have hair that you can pull out.

Sometimes they are too tight to pull, and sometimes you will tug for a while before success.

Where nitrile gloves to avoid touching. I know you would prefer a chemical solution, but try mechanical. I am not a plumber.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully, someone will chime in with a chemical product, otherwise the mechanical route will have to do.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Any chemical product that will work good to clear a drain can also discolor finishes and damage materials. A tub with a linkage pop-up always needs to be removed to get the wad of hair out. This should be considered a regular maintenance item to be done regularly in a home that has had a long-haired occupant.

Reactions: NDL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just from brushing hair over a lavatory.

hair-in-drain-3.jpg

And tubs get the same thing.

mini-golf-01.jpg

In case you were wondering where all that hair came from.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks