Legless water heater on linoleum concern

Users who are viewing this thread

lepa71

Reaction score
sHi All

I have a 20 years old 40-gallon gas Rheem water heater. It is raised by 2-3 inches from the floor. The floor is linoleum. All new water heaters are legless. I feel like it would be a bad idea to put a new water heater directly on linoleum because of the heat at the bottom.

Am I missing something?

Another question. Are some better than others ( I assume, yes)? I just need a good water heater. Should I look at 12 years one or 9?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
6, 9, or 12 years? They are all the same. The difference in prices is to pay for the "extended warranty", just like a car. If the bottom of the heater got hot enough to cause ANY damage, the heater would have legs under it.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Look up your local code. Your water heater probably requires a stand because it's gas fired. Their are hundreds for sale.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do NOT DO ANYTHING. If the heater does NOT have legs, it does not need them, and as for the stand, that is only required in specific areas, usually in a garage where the car can run into it.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
You do NOT DO ANYTHING. If the heater does NOT have legs, it does not need them, and as for the stand, that is only required in specific areas, usually in a garage where the car can run into it.
It has nothing to do with " THE CAR RUNNING INTO IT" The water is elevated to keep the pilot light from igniting any gas that is spilled
on the garage floor.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
sHi All

I have a 20 years old 40-gallon gas Rheem water heater. It is raised by 2-3 inches from the floor. The floor is linoleum. All new water heaters are legless. I feel like it would be a bad idea to put a new water heater directly on linoleum because of the heat at the bottom.

Am I missing something?

Another question. Are some better than others ( I assume, yes)? I just need a good water heater. Should I look at 12 years one or 9?

Thanks
You need to have a licensed plumber install that water heater and you need to get a permit and have it inspected, if you don't
and it causes a fire your home owners insurance wont cover it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to have a licensed plumber install that water heater and you need to get a permit and have it inspected, if you don't
and it causes a fire your home owners insurance wont cover it.

That might be true SOMEWHERE, but in most parts of the country a plumbing repair such as a water heater replacement does not require a permit, inspection, or a licensed plumber.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
That might be true SOMEWHERE, but in most parts of the country a plumbing repair such as a water heater replacement does not require a permit, inspection, or a licensed plumber.
If you said "SOME" parts of the country I might agree.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL gas heaters, for many, many years now have FVIR systems which do NOT allow explosions even if they are sitting in a pool of gasoline, so they DO NOT need to be elevated, UNLESS it is to prevent damage from impacts. I am not sure if you are such an "old timer" you are not up on new technology, but I would venture that I am an "older old timer" than thee.

lepa71

Reaction score
My biggest concern is heat underneath the water heater if it would rest on linoleum without legs.

Sluggo

Reaction score
It's not an issue. I had the same installation in my home and there was no problem. Quit worrying about it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thr heat goes up, so it should not be an issue. I would be installing the heater in a pan, which would also provide another layer of protection.

1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Look at the heater's installation manual. It has the dimensions for clearance, in all directions, to combustible materials. ALL of them have ZERO clearance on the bottom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks