Crimping vs sweating copper

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just had my WH replaced by our HVAC company, which also does plumbing. I realized that the plumber used crimp-on fittings for the 3/4" copper lines.

I was aware of PEX crimping systems but was not aware of using crimp-on fittings for rigid copper. Is this common practice? Seems to me it might be quicker than sweating (less prep, no worries about stray water ruining the soldering), but I would guess that the special fittings would be more expensive?

Wondering what the pros think of the relative merits of the two ways of joining copper.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Labor is more expensive than materials, which is why they use those fittings. Since anyone can connect using these fittings it is another case of "dumbing down plumbing".

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Labor is more expensive than materials, which is why they use those fittings. Since anyone can connect using these fittings it is another case of "dumbing down plumbing".

That's what I was afraid of. Sweating takes some talent and experience, and to me a nice solder fillet around a wiped joint is a beautiful thing. Seeing all those strange-looking fittings was not pretty.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
The fittings you are talking about are called " PRO-PRESS " their quicker to install than sweated joints and their great for repairing copper pipes when you can't get all of the water out of the line. but their expensive. Pro's use them all the time.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The fittings you are talking about are called " PRO-PRESS " their quicker to install than sweated joints and their great for repairing copper pipes when you can't get all of the water out of the line. but their expensive. Pro's use them all the time.

Good to know. I could see how it would save time for repairs.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about using O-rings to complete a seal on anything that's hidden, but pros are using this system and it seem to work. I don't know, but it seems that having the rest of the fitting pressed instead of just pushed on will offer more support to the Pro Press O-ring than the Shark Bite O-ring system.

John

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I never used propress or mega press but finding skilled labor is impossible no matter how much I am willing to pay my top employee gets $125 PER hr in the envelope

Because there are so many morons a out there Progress and mega press requires minimum skills and there is no open flames as needed so less chance of burning a building down no change of some idiot saying how toxic the flux is and wants a comp case

Many plumbing contractors are now using mega and propress systems to offset the labor costs and lack of skills out there

Seems to be working as I was not used to Vitriolic when it first was used in NYC in the early 1970's but it also proved to be a great product

Attachments

• Equip.jpg
    Equip.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 409

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just had my WH replaced by our HVAC company, which also does plumbing. I realized that the plumber used crimp-on fittings for the 3/4" copper lines.

I was aware of PEX crimping systems but was not aware of using crimp-on fittings for rigid copper. Is this common practice? Seems to me it might be quicker than sweating (less prep, no worries about stray water ruining the soldering), but I would guess that the special fittings would be more expensive?

Wondering what the pros think of the relative merits of the two ways of joining copper.

PRO-PRESS complies with code. we use it in commercial work on both water and gas piping. It's a great system. No, it hasn't withstood the test of time. Who knows, 40 years from now there may be a class action suit against pro-press. My feeling is that if there is a class action suit years and years from now, I'll be dead or pushing 100 years old. If the grandson of some hipster twat inherits grandpas house and ends up having to pay a small fortune to repipe it, I'll already have one foot in the grave. deeze nuts right here (squeeze) to ya hipster-twat grand-kids.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
This forum code needs tweaking... I can only click just one like for Michael Young's post???

LOL.

John

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I never used propress or mega press but finding skilled labor is impossible no matter how much I am willing to pay my top employee gets $125 PER hr in the envelope

Because there are so many morons a out there Progress and mega press requires minimum skills and there is no open flames as needed so less chance of burning a building down no change of some idiot saying how toxic the flux is and wants a comp case

Many plumbing contractors are now using mega and propress systems to offset the labor costs and lack of skills out there

Seems to be working as I was not used to Vitriolic when it first was used in NYC in the early 1970's but it also proved to be a great product
You mean. Victaulic. Wheres your mind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks