Laundry room cleanout location question need help!

Users who are viewing this thread

nholt

Reaction score
I’m doing my new laundry room plumbing I have a utility sink and to left of it is a washing machine. I have part of the plumbing done. See photo. The lines on the photo are not to scale, Do I need a cleanout or two cleanouts and where? Does the main drain at the bottom need one and or the sink “arm” need one too?

FAFC7959-2EA8-4987-A355-64D340FC680A.jpeg

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Whatever size pipe you have coming out of the floor, that's the size clean out you need. you'll have to check your code to
see if they allow a bushing to reduce the pipe going into the stack or if they require a reducer.

Attachments

• FAFC7959-2EA8-4987-A355-64D340FC680A.jpeg
    FAFC7959-2EA8-4987-A355-64D340FC680A.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,421

nholt

Reaction score
Whatever size pipe you have coming out of the floor, that's the size clean out you need. you'll have to check your code to
see if they allow a bushing to reduce the pipe going into the stack or if they require a reducer.
Thank you for the reply. Here is some additional background: The laundry room is a new addition and the drain goes down and out and connects to the sewer in the backyard and it has the appropriate sized cleanout in the yard, it doesn’t tie into the main stack of the house. I’ve seen small cleanouts under sinks and on washing machine drains after the standpipe so I thought I need ones there. I didn’t realize I needed one right before the main drain goes in the foundation.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
The code requires a clean out at the base of every stack and the clean out must be the same size of the stack.
if you get a clog in the laundry drain you can insert the snake into the drain line threw the stack clean out.
if you get a clog in the sink drain line you can clear it by removing the trap and inserting the snake through the drain there.
unless the clean out is a 2 way clean out outside the building, it wouldn't do you any good anyway.
The fact remains that code requires a clean out at the base of stacks.
you can put a clean out any where you feel you might need one as long as it is accessible. (NOT BLOCKED OR COVERED UP).
Hope that helps clear it up.

nholt

Reaction score
4F90F99E-25E0-4C05-85A7-1A4C2300A18F.jpeg
The code requires a clean out at the base of every stack and the clean out must be the same size of the stack.
if you get a clog in the laundry drain you can insert the snake into the drain line threw the stack clean out.
if you get a clog in the sink drain line you can clear it by removing the trap and inserting the snake through the drain there.
unless the clean out is a 2 way clean out outside the building, it wouldn't do you any good anyway.
The fact remains that code requires a clean out at the base of stacks.
you can put a clean out any where you feel you might need one as long as it is accessible. (NOT BLOCKED OR COVERED UP).
Hope that helps clear it up.
thank you! I guess I’m adding a cleanout at the base like you said. However I’ve already “glued” the part circled in yellow in my photo. So could I install the cleanout on the horizontal right before it goes down? I circled the area in green on my photo.

nholt

Reaction score
I think I might have enough room to squeeze in a cleanout at the bottom of the stack if I trim down the main stack a bit. That a 3inch to 2 inch reducer. (I think that’s what it’s called) by the way.

D5AC1228-DCA5-4EB6-AED5-770B132EF02E.jpeg

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Its too bad you already glued everything because I would have done it like this as long as the bottom of the window sill was above 42".
but now since you have to decide if your going to cut that pipe that's gotta be up to you and your inspector.

Attachments

• InkedFAFC7959-2EA8-4987-A355-64D340FC680A_LI.jpg
    InkedFAFC7959-2EA8-4987-A355-64D340FC680A_LI.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,693

nholt

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies and help. That was my original plan but I read that the sink vent if done that way had to be minimum 6 inches above the sink rim. It was not going to meet that requirement since the countertop and sink were going to be right below the window. That is why I changed plans to extend the sink arm over to do a “wet vent” for the sink. In my plan where the sink vent connnects to the washing machine vent was going to be much higher up than I marked in my photo.

Last edited:

nholt

Reaction score
This should work right?

D9D0F209-EFAD-486C-A39F-F5EA825F657C.jpeg
Everything in this photo isn’t glued yet so I can make adjustments to add a 3” cleanout thank goodness.
A03B4F15-F426-4FE8-B5C8-D4F26DB59414.jpeg

Last edited:

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
If the clean out and reducer are to tall than here's another idea for you. just remember the clean out has to be accessible.
I don't know what your putting under that window.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 41-8zxEC6BL._SX342_.jpg
    41-8zxEC6BL._SX342_.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 953
  • white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc004011200hd-64_1000.jpg
    white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc004011200hd-64_1000.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 969

nholt

Reaction score
Under the window is going to be the utility sink. Not the plastic kind but one that’s more like a bathroom vanity.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
If this cabinet has a base then you'll want to use the drawing that I made but swivel the 1/4 bend with the clean out plug so it doesn't
interfere with the sink p-trap. I'm worn out.

nholt

Reaction score
Yea I should’ve just hired a pro. I’m not quite sure I understand your last reply. But now that I’m this far I wanna keep going. Also I’m going to alter the back of the cabinet to accommodate everything. No biggie.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Yea I should’ve just hired a pro. I’m not quite sure I understand your last reply. But now that I’m this far I wanna keep going. Also I’m going to alter the back of the cabinet to accommodate everything. No biggie.
If the p-trap ends up blocking the clean out. turn the santee to face at a 45 degree angle from the front so the sink p-trap doesn't block
the clean out. There's at least 5 different ways to configure any plumbing system. the key is to follow the code and your particular inspector.
and there's always a way to fix it. You should start another "THREAD" and see if any other plumber's have any ideas/experience,
or information I might be missing. rename the thread something different, we like responding to questions. it feeds are egos.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I've got one last trick up my sleeve.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 960
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,153

nholt

Reaction score
I've got one last trick up my sleeve.
Thank you! That’s what I wanted to do since it would be easy and solve space issues. I just thought the cleanout had to be on the vertical portion, even though my vertical section is small, of the “stack”. I’m in the Houston TX area so I’ll have to see if I can get by with it on the horizontal, I don’t see why not unless a code specifies otherwise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks