Trenchless Replacement of 76 Year Old Galvanzied Water Line

Users who are viewing this thread

JerseyShore

Reaction score
After years of procrastination, I decided to bite the bullet and replace the galvanized water line on my 1943 two family on the Jersey shore.

I had a hard time getting a contractor. It was not easy to find a plumber to do underground work and almost all who did wanted backhoe open trench, thusly removing shrubs -and at astronomical cost.

Also, some of the proposal fine print conditions were not sign able, similar to the terms I looked over before removing two 1950s oil tanks 20 years ago. Basically, they were responsible for almost nothing and the homeowner had to pull some if not all permits.

However, it was worth the angst and due diligence. I was impressed with mole technology: one simple hand-dug hole at the foundation, drill thru the cinder block, the torpedo-like mole passes thru the hole under the yard into a second hand-dug hole at the sidewalk.

I opted for type K 1" ID copper. Most contractors thought it was strange not the use PEX, but I picked copper as it is tried and true.

I owe a debt of gratitude to this website which was key in educating me on the different options to make the best possible decision. Websites like this are examples of the democratization of all knowledge which the internet has made possible.

Thank you,Terry Love!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the update JerseyShore,

Using the Mole saves so much time putting everything back. It's great for getting the pipe under driveways and leaving the yard mainly in one piece.

Terry Love

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Great choice. I always use K copper underground and L for above ground . Even hot water heating I use L and when I have to use copper for a waste line L if I cant use CI because of space restrictions

JerseyShore

Reaction score
Thanks for the comebacks! Most of the contractors pushed trenching and PEX. Had to push hard for copper and trenchless.
Aside from sidewalk panel, this was the only excavation.

SDC10614.JPG

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I am very skeptical of any "plastics" used for potable water supply

Many of the victims of 911 perished from the toxic smoke

I often wondered what long term effects of plastics will have on people knowing most plastic are petroleum based

JerseyShore

Reaction score
I am very skeptical of any "plastics" used for potable water supply

Many of the victims of 911 perished from the toxic smoke I often wondered what long term effects of plastics will have on people knowing most plastic are petroleum based

That is what I was thinking... I remember when asbestos was the "miracle" mineral, vermuculite insulation, polybutylene, fiberglass, Chinese drywall, ect. ... California prop 65 warning is everywhere today. Only time will tell, but you can't go wrong with copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks