Basement shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

JoLynn Dixon

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum and embarking on an old basement shower remodel. I want to put in a Kerdi drain but can someone please let me what type of drain this is and how I can install a Kerdi drain with it? Or does it need to be taken out? Believe it's in a mortar shower floor.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG-1913.JPG
    IMG-1913.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-1914 (1).JPG
    IMG-1914 (1).JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 155

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To me, it looks like a floor drain, not a shower drain. I can't be sure of the sizing, but today's code wants a 2" drain pipe for a shower. YOur local inspector MIGHT grandfather a 1.5", if that's what's there, but you'd have to crack out some slab to be able to install ANY shower drain properly. While in there, you would want to verify that the p-trap is in good condition, and that it is properly vented. Nobody said it would be easy.

Even though it's on a slab, you still want a waterproof pan, whether you use Kerdi or a conventional pan liner and clamping drain. While Schluter does make a conversion from a clamping drain to their bonded membrane, that isn't a clamping drain, or at least it doesn't look like one to me.

JoLynn Dixon

Reaction score
To me, it looks like a floor drain, not a shower drain. I can't be sure of the sizing, but today's code wants a 2" drain pipe for a shower. YOur local inspector MIGHT grandfather a 1.5", if that's what's there, but you'd have to crack out some slab to be able to install ANY shower drain properly. While in there, you would want to verify that the p-trap is in good condition, and that it is properly vented. Nobody said it would be easy.

Even though it's on a slab, you still want a waterproof pan, whether you use Kerdi or a conventional pan liner and clamping drain. While Schluter does make a conversion from a clamping drain to their bonded membrane, that isn't a clamping drain, or at least it doesn't look like one to me.
Thank you, Jim, doesn't look clamping to me either... Any ideas how much a plumbing job like this should cost? Also, Kerdi plastic membrane is okay to put over the floor, correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks