How to remove bathroom vanity top rust stain

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonM

Reaction score
I have removed about 40 years old bathroom faucet, and there are reddish rust stains where the handles were. I tried the Iron Out, rust stain remover from the Home Depot, but it is no help. I applied multiple times according to the direction.

Is it possible to remove the round reddish rust stain? I attached the photo for your reference.

20190607_172224.jpg

Thank you very much.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go with Iron Out for iron stain removal.

JasonM

Reaction score
I would go with Iron Out for iron stain removal.
Thank you for the reply.

I applied the Iron Out more than several times, but still it does not remove.
Any other suggestions, or shall I replaced the whole vanity top?

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is actually iron, I think bleach solution might turn the color darker. Maybe a tablespoon in a half cup of water.

I suspect that is not iron, but it certainly could be. Iron Out can turn rust into ferrous iron, which is yellowish. Bleach would turn to rust-color ferric iron. I am hoping the bleach solution will have a positive effect on the stain. Maybe test where the area will be covered when the new faucet is put into service.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That composite countertop may react similarly to natural stone. At www.johnbridge.com, they have a forum section on removing stains from stone. You might ask there. Sometimes, a poultice of the right mix left on for awhile will work on stone. Again, not sure if it would have any effect on that surface.

I might try some OxyClean.

Have you looked for a new fixture that might have a base large enough to hide the stain?

Some of the stain might have come from the oils in plumbers putty if they did not use a stainless version.

JasonM

Reaction score
If that is actually iron, I think bleach solution might turn the color darker. Maybe a tablespoon in a half cup of water.

I suspect that is not iron, but it certainly could be. Iron Out can turn rust into ferrous iron, which is yellowish. Bleach would turn to rust-color ferric iron. I am hoping the bleach solution will have a positive effect on the stain. Maybe test where the area will be covered when the new faucet is put into service.

Thank you very much for the reply, Reach4.
You may be right as jadnashua mentioned. I noticed that when I removed the nut on the vanity top, there was putty all around.
I will give the beach a try where it is covered. Thank you.

JasonM

Reaction score
That composite countertop may react similarly to natural stone. At www.johnbridge.com, they have a forum section on removing stains from stone. You might ask there. Sometimes, a poultice of the right mix left on for awhile will work on stone. Again, not sure if it would have any effect on that surface.

I might try some OxyClean.

Have you looked for a new fixture that might have a base large enough to hide the stain?

Some of the stain might have come from the oils in plumbers putty if they did not use a stainless version.

Thank you very much for the reply, jadnashua.
I will post the question on the forum you mentioned if the bleach and Oxyclean does not work.
As I mentioned above, I saw there was plumbers putty all around the base. So it may be from the plumber's putty. If so, what can be used to remove the stain?

I already installed the faucet that I had bought several years ago for this purpose not knowing that I would have this issue.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 20190609_081451.jpg
    20190609_081451.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

JasonM

Reaction score
I removed most of the stain by using the Goof-off and Mr. Clean. I attached the photo for view. I noticed that the stain was gone by removing the top finish and some.

20190612_102315.jpg

So, it looks dull, a little rough, and not shiny in that area. Is there any way that I can apply some finish to make it like a little shiner? If it is possible, what can I use?

Thank you very much.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could start with some very fine grit wet-dry sandpaper depending on the roughnes.. To smooth more, consider red rubbing compound maybe followed by white polishing compound.

Scraping a fingernail across a surface is a good way to compare surface roughness.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That culture marble as this type of man made material was once called became porous. I’ve seen them dry out and crack from excessive hot water. You can still buy them at the home centers.

JasonM

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, Reach4, WOrthFlorida.

What kind of red rubbing compound should I use? Could you give me a link to it?

Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Buffing compound or polishing compound (similar, but different 'grits') as used for paint would probably work. You might try a plastic buffing compound with a cloth polishing disk. The stuff is essentially plastic. To make it shine, you need to buff it. The finer the compound, the smoother it is, the more it shines. Sandpaper, if you get progressively finer grits works, too. Do not skip grits, as each successively finer one removes the scratches of the one before until they're so small, they don't diffract the light, and it becomes shiny. Skipping grits means it is much harder to erase them. Be careful if you use power equipment and too much pressure...you can generate enough heat to melt the surface and make a mess. Doing it by hand will take a lot longer, but is probably safer.

You can wimp out and try some car wax, but it will wear off and make it splotchy.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score

JasonM

Reaction score
Thank you very much, jadnashua, Reach4.

I used the sandpaper grit from 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500. I ordered the grits 3000, 5000, 7000 and am waiting for it.
I will use the rubbing compound after finishing the sanding with finer grits by hand.
After I finish all the process, I will let you know.

Thank you very much.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
The kits for buffing foggy plastic headlights might work. Usually come with a buffing pad you attach to a drill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks