Electrical grounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian2147

Reaction score
Upgrading my electrical in a triplex . From adding neutrals And grounds and such. Do I need a separate ground from the service disconnect to the panel in my apartment or does the FMC runway handle that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your individual breaker panel is probably considered a sub-panel of the structure...if that is the case, you need a 4-wire cable: L1 L2 Neutral Ground to it. ANd, in that panel, the ground and neutral wires should be on their own buss. In a main panel, the ground and neutral are tied together, but that should be the only place where that's true in the structure.

Stuff

Reaction score
FMC wouldn't provide a good ground. AC or MC would be fine. They may look the same but are manufactured to different specifications.

Brian2147

Reaction score
Your individual breaker panel is probably considered a sub-panel of the structure...if that is the case, you need a 4-wire cable: L1 L2 Neutral Ground to it. ANd, in that panel, the ground and neutral wires should be on their own buss. In a main panel, the ground and neutral are tied together, but that should be the only place where that's true in the structure.
Thanks

Brian2147

Reaction score
I guess the next question would be what size do I make the ground wire. There a table I can refer to. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size is the panel's main breaker? Keep in mind, the ground lead should never have any current running through it unless there's a fault. It needs a low enough resistance to trip the breaker, but because that happens in no more than a few seconds, it doesn't need to be as large as the current carrying conductors since it won't heat up much in that few seconds. If you run a new cable rather than individual wires in a race or conduit, it will be sized properly for the current carrying leads. I'm sure there are charts out there...don't know off the top of my head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks