DIY Rainbird sort of sprinkler system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Estpaul

Reaction score
So I don't want to spend the time and money on a traditional in ground sprinkler system because I might be selling my house and don't want to spend the cash.

Anyways I ordered a Rainbird LG3HE to try out. I like it and was thinking about setting them up in groups of 2, meaning one spliced to the other. I know nothing about real in ground sprinkler install.

I bought a rain bird psi guage and I'm getting 61psi at my hose bib and 15gpm flow.

I went and bought a 1/2" tee and a rainbird LG-3 and 1/2" 50ft rain bird swing pipe. I teed off the first LG3HE to the LG-3 and ran my 5/8" garden hose aprox 60ft to the set up and turned the water on. It seemed like it had pressure but not the volume. Distance was cut in half on the impacts.

Longer runs decrease the flow correct?

My question is how can I run 2 and get the 41ft throw distance? Thanks for any help.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
How did you figure 15 gpm? Did you fill up a 5 gallon pail in 20 seconds? A 1/2" pipe to a 1/2" spigot plus 50 feet of 1/2" pipe will kill the flow rate. You just proved you cannot accomplish what you want to do.

Inside diameters: 1/2 copper is .545" for type L, Sch40 PVC is .622", 1/2 Swing is .49", 5/8" garden hose is .625. Internal resistance for water flow is different for each type and Swing has a very rough surface that drags on the water. Any 90 degree turn equals 3 linear feet of pipe.

These pop ups are for in ground irrigation systems. First, an in ground system is feed by a 3/4" pipe from a city source or a 1" or larger pipe from an irrigation pump. Second, most inground systems feed each zone with a 3/4" PVC pipe or larger from a indexing valve or irrigation valve. Thirdly, the Swing pipe is not for long runs, maybe 8' tops. Its main use is between the zone pipe, (3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" tee) and a sprinkler head. The LG3 has a 1/2" connection.

If you want semi auto sprinklers use a Melnor 2 or 4 zone timer that connects to your spigot. Run garden hoses around the perimeter and use above ground sprinklers such as the Orbit Zinc Impact where you can daisy chain them with garden hose. You may end up spending about half to three quarter as much in parts as installing an irrigation system that will help sell a home.

melnor-hose-timers-76280-hd-c3_145.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-4-Zone-Water-Timer-76280-HD/305174515

orbit-pulsating-sprinklers-27910-64_145.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Zinc-Impact-Sprinkler-on-Spike-27910/100659308

Last edited:

Estpaul

Reaction score
How did you figure 15 gpm? Did you fill up a 5 gallon pail in 20 seconds? A 1/2" pipe to a 1/2" spigot plus 50 feet of 1/2" pipe will kill the flow rate. You just proved you cannot accomplish what you want to do.

Inside diameters: 1/2 copper is .545" for type L, Sch40 PVC is .622", 1/2 Swing is .49", 5/8" garden hose is .625.

These pop ups are for in ground irrigation systems. First, an in ground system is feed by a 3/4" pipe from a city source or a 1" or larger pipe from an irrigation pump. Second, most inground systems feed each zone with a 3/4" PVC pipe or larger from a indexing valve or irrigation valve. Thirdly, the Swing pipe is not for long runs, maybe 8' tops. Its main use is between the zone pipe, (3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" tee) and a sprinkler head. The LG3 has a 1/2" connection.

If you want semi auto sprinklers use a Melnor 2 or 4 zone timer that connects to your spigot. Run garden hoses around the perimeter and use above ground sprinklers such as the Orbit Zinc Impact where you can daisy chain them with garden hose. You may end up spending almost as much in parts as installing a irrigation system that will help sell a home.

melnor-hose-timers-76280-hd-c3_145.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-4-Zone-Water-Timer-76280-HD/305174515

orbit-pulsating-sprinklers-27910-64_145.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Zinc-Impact-Sprinkler-on-Spike-27910/100659308

Yes I used a rain bird guage to get my psi and filled up a 5 gallon bucket to time it and get the gpm.

The LG3HE is not for in ground systems it's meant to bury and use a quick connect on a hose. It comes with a swing pipe, quick connect adapter and a cup with cover for the garden hose. The regular LG3 comes without all that stuff.

Thank you for the help. Lime I said I know nothing about in ground systems.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I looked at RB video and the one big difference, they use a garden hose but didn't say how long. These LG3 take a lot of water to work. Tee off the garden hose to the second LG3 will make an improvement but not double the output of one.

Estpaul

Reaction score
I looked at RB video and the one big difference, they use a garden hose but didn't say how long. These LG3 take a lot of water to work. Tee off the garden hose to the second LG3 will make an improvement but not double the output of one.

The LG3HE and LG labels said Ideal for low flow so I guess I had some wishful thinking haha. Ill just have to run a water timer and some hoses. Most of my lawn pigybacking 2 will be fine and cover the lawn but its the one huge 70x40 area im trying to figure out how to cover without having to install one right in the middle of the lawn which looks like I might have to do with the slightly odd shape it is.

I live on a corner and that area where the 2 streets meet look like the number "7" so im having issues hitting that top corner.

Maybe ill grab that timer you posted or the fancy melnor wifi 4 manifold one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks