No sound after Windows update

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Windows update on my Windows 10 computer finished up, and now the sound card isn't working.
I went into settings and moved the levels to 100%.
Still nothing. I can't really edit video on this now without sound.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So my business computer that I had upgraded from 7 to 10 is now spending the day updating. I started it last night at midnight, this morning it was off. I booted it up and at 1:30 it's still hour glassing. I was planning to work on taxes today. I lost a day earlier this week when the computer was also updating all day. I would love to have a working computer during the times I have set aside to work on it. Please.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Two guys were in a helicopter above the fog in Seattle, when they got lost. Seeing a tall building they flew next to it and held up a sign saying "Where are we?" Someone in the building replied with a sign that said, "You are in a helicopter". With that information the flew to the airport and landed. Someone asked, "how did that answer help you?" He said, "since it was a stupid answer to a real question it had to be the Microsoft office building and I knew where the airport was from there". Good luck with your "upgrade".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The computer died. I pulled the files off and installed them on a new computer. Too bad, it was fine as long as I was running 7, but the upgrade to ten did er in.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The computer died. I pulled the files off and installed them on a new computer. Too bad, it was fine as long as I was running 7, but the upgrade to ten did er in.

I think Win 10 sucks.

I still use 7 on my important computers.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I updated my computer to 10 last weekend from 7 now my shift keys don't work cannot enter any email addresses as can't make at symbol,
it is a real pain cannot update emails to log into many websites,
going to try changing my keyboard when I can get someone to dig my extra ones out of storage

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I changed over because I had forgot my password on my computer,
also when my computer goes to sleep cannot get it to restart without doing a hard reboot,
ie; power off and then restart

DonL

Reaction score
There is a tool to recover your passwords. I guess it is to late now.

Turning off, Or changing power save mode may fix your new problem.

Good Luck.

Ethriel

Reaction score
I updated my computer to 10 last weekend from 7 now my shift keys don't work cannot enter any email addresses as can't make at symbol,
it is a real pain cannot update emails to log into many websites,
going to try changing my keyboard when I can get someone to dig my extra ones out of storage

I'm just seeing this now so I don't know if it will help. Sometimes function keys gets pressed at the same time as other keys and it messes up the keyboard. Makes other letters/numbers/symbols come out instead of what you are trying to type. To get it back to normal press the function (Fn) key and letter W or D or A or S. Essentially it switched game movement keys with the arrow keys but that messes up standard typing. Hope it helps.

Ethriel

Reaction score
The Windows update on my Windows 10 computer finished up, and now the sound card isn't working.

I'm just now seeing this. This is a common problem with Windows 10 updates. To fix it, go into control panel, Sound, Playback tab, here you can change the sound option and set it as default until you find the one that works, or disable all audio devices showing except the one you know is your soundcard or onboard sound. It can take a few tries to find the one that works again depending how your pc is built. Windows is a pain, I go through this with every update.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If your computer came from the factory as a Windows 7, stop there, do not upgrade. If the computer started life as a Windows 8.1, no problem to upgrade . My Toshiba laptop went from 8.1 to 10 and only one problem arose out of it and many other Toshiba's had the same problem, when it woke up from "sleep mode", the screen would remain blank. The fix was I turned off sleep. My Windows 7 HP laptop does not have a enough horsepower for version 10.

If you're at Windows 10 the screen takes a bit to learn where everything is and I found it to be very confusing. I bought this program ($5) START10. I gives you a Windows 7 environment to navigate on your PC and you can switch back and forth between the look a like 7 and 10.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

DonL

Reaction score
If your computer came from the factory as a Windows 7, stop there, do not upgrade. If the computer started life as a Windows 8.1, no problem to upgrade . My Toshiba laptop went from 8.1 to 10 and only one problem arose out of it and many other Toshiba's had the same problem, when it woke up from "sleep mode", the screen would remain blank. The fix was I turned off sleep. My Windows 7 HP laptop does not have a enough horsepower for version 10.

If you're at Windows 10 the screen takes a bit to learn where everything is and I found it to be very confusing. I bought this program ($5) START10. I gives you a Windows 7 environment to navigate on your PC and you can switch back and forth between the look a like 7 and 10.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Windows 10 is trying to kill Windows 7. The older hardware will not work properly.

I have the auto update service disable on my 7 machines.

Win 7 still rocks for me. I like Linux too.

I do not like the cloud, It slows down my Dial-up internet connection and is not very secure.

danykane007

Reaction score
Well, this is faced due to various reasons like due to the corrupted or damaged audio device, accidental changes made in the sound settings while installing Windows 10, outdated sound or audio card and to fix this you need here to go to the sound drivers to fix no sound issues and for this follow the steps:

Go to the Device Manager to uninstall and then install the sound driver.

Step 1: Install and launch Start Menu, search for Device Manager and then launch it.

Step 2: Expand the “Sound and audio devices” option.

Step 3: Right-click on the current sound driver and select uninstall.

Step 4: Lastly, click on “Scan for hardware changes” to the updated sound driver will be automatically installed.

Eddie Ebron

Reaction score
My laptop came from factory as a Windows 10 already. It was impossible to change smth. But I have another problem - automatic updates. How could I stop it? Is it possible at all? AND - the most important question - IF it's possible to stop... Will my laptop function normally?

DonL

Reaction score
My laptop came from factory as a Windows 10 already. It was impossible to change smth. But I have another problem - automatic updates. How could I stop it? Is it possible at all? AND - the most important question - IF it's possible to stop... Will my laptop function normally?

You can stop of for a little bit.

It may require a update within 30 days to keep working properly.

Disconnect it from the internet to see. :D

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
We just bought 2 computers both windows 10 GET Dell support and they will fix anything wrong

I usually call them every week to clean the computer and update and check for viruses add or remove programs

$200.+ for THREE years plus I can have them do service in my office NO extra charge (support plus) Even if I drop the computer they will replace it if they cant fix it

I also bought a Xerox printer all in one takes a few weeks to get it perfect under the same program as Dell sold me the printer

V

VirgMart

You may have a missing or incorrectly installed audio driver. Try clearing your registry, here you can check registry software. After cleaning the registry, install the program for automatic driver updates and it will replace your outdated driver with a newer and more suitable one. After the update, restart your computer and the problem should disappear. If it occurs again, check your audio adapter, it may have a problem or find a master who will check it for you. Good luck and hope you'll solve your problem.

Ben_Davis

Reaction score

Try to download and reinstall the drivers from the official website of the motherboard manufacturer

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks