Oversized submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

ruteger

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my water pump at my cottage. Water is drawn from the lake and pumped up the hill to the cottage. We currently have a jet pump that didn't get winterized in time, froze and cracked.
I want to replace it with a submersible pump.
Based on my research, I think I need 8 gpm.
One regular bathroom, kitchen sink, outdoor shower, washing machine, outdoor tap. Going to add a dishwasher eventually. Family of six, guest there at times.
Rise from the bottom of the lake where the pump will be to the cottage is approximately 60 feet.
Length of pipe from the pump to the cottage will be approximately 140 feet.
I have found a deal on a 15 gpm 1 hp submersible pump.
I feel this is more than I need. 10 gpm 1/2 hp will likely be sufficient?
But will there be issues with using this oversized pump?
Maybe i will need a larger pressure tank and all will be fine?
Think i covered all the relevant info, but let me know if i missed something.
thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the altitude difference between the lake surface and the cabin?

Reach4

Reaction score
That 10 gpm 1/2 HP would be the right size... maybe a little big, but 1/3 HP pumps are rare. Ideally you would have a 44 gallon pressure tank or bigger, but your 32 gallon is acceptable.

Your 15 gpm 1 hp pump would be oversized for a house.
index.php
T

ruteger

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming I should be okay with pump I sized.
If I did go ahead with the overkill 1 HP 15 GPM, what would the downside be? Would there be any issues?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming I should be okay with pump I sized.
If I did go ahead with the overkill 1 HP 15 GPM, what would the downside be? Would there be any issues?
Short run times. Flow noise in 1 inch pipes. Maybe more.

ruteger

Reaction score
Not sure what size tank I have. It’s four hours away. And never thought to check before I came home. What size should I have for 1/2 hp pump? The 1 Hp?

Reach4

Reaction score
Look for the gpm the pump pumps, multiply by 4, and you want a tank at least that big.

So if your pump pumped 8 gpm, you could use a 32 gallon tank or bigger. For 11 gpm, 44 gallon or bigger. Looking at the table above, your 10 gpm pump will pump about 10 gpm probably.

ruteger

Reaction score
So if I use a tank that’s too small pump will run for too short of time and not get enough cooling? This will shorten life? What’s normal life expectancy and what would be life expectancy with undersized tank? Ballpark

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump installers in your area have them and should have already told you about them. Just Google CSV1A and you can have them delivered to your doorstep.

ruteger

Reaction score
Was planning to do this myself with the help of my father. So haven’t talked to any pump installers. Can’t really find anyone that sells them. Was hoping to find someone online that I could buy from in person. But any pump installer should be able to set me up w one?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks