Smell from kitchen island sink with "out" studor valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score
All - hoping you all can shed some light on my dilemma.

I have some smell coming from my kitchen island sink when I am only running water - and I'm pretty much convinced its coming from the sink and not the studor valve (under the sink smells fine).

I attached some primitive pictures to try and illustrate how things are configured (I can try and get picture from under the cabinet itself if that will help).

So the question is - why does the sink smell? did I not install the studor properly? Is the wye or the few 90s interfering with the operation of the AAV? Is there too much of a vertical drop that the trap is being siphoned?

A couple of additional details:
  1. studor vent is pretty high in cabinet just above the bottom of the sink
  2. its not entirely plumb - it is "close" but I am starting to question how sensitive they are to being level?
  3. the drain coming out of the cabinet back has a slight upward pitch to it (it's nearly level)
Hoping its some sort of obvious issue without having to redo the drain.

Many thanks for all your help with this!

Attachments

• backview.png
    backview.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 453
  • insideview.png
    insideview.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Real pictures would be better, if not;

Is it only happening at this sink?
When hot water or cold water only is used or doesn't matter.
Is this a single or double bowl sink?
Is there a garbage disposal?
Have you opened the p-trap and cleaned it?
Is the drain pipe PVC or galvanized steel?
When did the odor start?
Is there a dishwasher drain connection?

If there is a garbage disposal, the grinding chamber it's more likely the source. Remove the rubber diaphragm and the odor may increase while not running the water.
You can pour down a cup or two of bleach and let it sit a while? If there is a garbage disposal, run it a second or two to spread the bleach.

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score
WorthFlorida - thanks for the reply - answers in red.

Is it only happening at this sink? The smell is only at this sink and doesn't matter hot or cold water.
When hot water or cold water only is used or doesn't matter. doesn't matter
Is this a single or double bowl sink? It's only a single small stainless steel sink
Is there a garbage disposal? no garbage disposal
Have you opened the p-trap and cleaned it? not yet...but did put drain-o in this week (see below)
Is the drain pipe PVC or galvanized steel? PVC
When did the odor start? intermittent for a few months now - but seems fairly regular now (maybe we are just sensitive to it)
Is there a dishwasher drain connection? no dishwasher

This week I put some drain-o in the sink to try and clean anything out, so I'm not thinking I need to put any bleach?

I totally forgot to mention another key piece of information (I updated the original post), the drain coming out of cabinet wall is slightly upward (almost level), but the sink drains well - but this may be a symptom?

I'll try and get a pic...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Obviously water doesn't flow uphill and it will allow more water and crud to lay in the pipe and trap. When you remove the p-trap it should be full of water. Do you hear any gurgling whereby the trap is being siphoned dry? It could be the pitch is allowing the water to flow too slow and the AAV is not opening thus water is being siphoned out of the trap? Just guess for now.

I also have an island sink with a AAV, disposal and dishwasher. Never had an issue.

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score
WorthFlorida - of course, as I said, its slight and a short run, and the water never drains poorly. I'll pull the p-trap and take a look and see if I can get a picture.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the smell? Chemical? Decomposition?

If you close the stopper on the sink, and add some water, is the smell blocked?

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score
@Reach4 - it smells like septic - yes, the smell does not exist after filling up the sink with water. I'm about to pull the trap and have a look - I'll post back with progress

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The way you show the piping, you have pretty much negated ANY BENEFITS from the Studor vent and have installed a "perfect" "S" trap which will usually ALWAYS siphon and smell.

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score
pictures of the piping under the sink - you'll see the right elbow coming out from the sink back going vertical and the AAV installed on top of that pipe to the right of the sink drain

Attachments

• 20190524_215638.jpg
    20190524_215638.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 20190524_215656.jpg
    20190524_215656.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 20190524_215711.jpg
    20190524_215711.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 322

Reach4

Reaction score
IMG_5.jpg

Your AAV is not hooked up properly. HJ figured it out. Too, me a while.

Your AAV needs to hook up at the level of the trap arm or above.

If you post a photo of the backside, somebody may offer a way to fix this more easily.

Last edited:

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score
@Reach4 - I think I see what you are saying, I installed it with the wye lower than the p-trap to prevent siphoning the drain - are you saying that's the very behavior I ended up creating?

Reach4

Reaction score
@Reach4 - I think I see what you are saying, I installed it with the wye lower than the p-trap to prevent siphoning the drain - are you saying that's the very behavior I ended up creating?
Yes. You want the vent to be able to supply air to the trap arm to spoil the vacuum.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. That would be one of the right ways.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The way you show the piping, you have pretty much negated ANY BENEFITS from the Studor vent and have installed a "perfect" "S" trap which will usually ALWAYS siphon and smell.

Thanks HJ, I've been busy this week, and this is the perfect response. He should add an AAV on the trap arm between the p-trap and the wall. The existing AAV is doing nothing.

Richard Spackmann

Reaction score
I modified the plumbing in the manner illustrated by @Terry and so far everything smells great - and I think it drains faster too! (which would make sense). Thanks everyone for the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I think it drains faster too!

Actually, it might have drained faster the old way. Improper venting CAN cause drains to drain faster since gravity is helping if there is nothing to break the siphon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks