Un sweating close to wall and valve

Users who are viewing this thread

xxxshiftxxx

Reaction score
I am removing these lines to my water heater and installing new ones. I am concerned with the close proximity to the wall on them and the solder melting on the valve side on the cold water line while heating up that side to remove the cold water line.

Can I just wrap wet towels around them and be okay?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190517_172448.jpg
    20190517_172448.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 196

xxxshiftxxx

Reaction score
Wet towels help. How in the world did someone sweat copper to stainless?
Have a spray bottle handy too.

That is from an install by a plumber, it was already connected to the stainless and he just sweated the copper side to the pipe from the wall.

I am gunna install a Male end to the pipe once I remove that line and just screw my new pipes on.

Mliu

Reaction score
Wet towels help. How in the world did someone sweat copper to stainless?
Could those be chrome-plated copper or brass?

Have a spray bottle handy too.
And a fire extinguisher.

I made a handy flame shield out of two pieces of copper sheet I happened to have laying around (standard steel sheet metal would have worked fine too). I riveted the corners of the two sheets together to make a hinge, then cut a hole out where the two halves came together. Allowed me to open the two sheets and then close around the pipe with the pipe coming out the hole. It prevents any flame from accidentally coming close to, or contacting, whatever is behind the shield.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks