My toilet clogs frequently. Change the toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It might work great...you won't know until you install it. As part of a relative thing, there are others that are better, but maybe not for your budget and exact situation.

Questions1

Reaction score
I received the toilet . Opened the box down stairs and Cary the toilet Up to 2nd floor, so heavy but I did it. I see some dirts inside the the bowl and the toilet seat. The toilet seat looks as if it is shit stain. But also looks new so I don’t know if it is normal . Pics below

Attachments

• A44921F3-B7B2-4CBB-A96A-C50FD64C8D23.jpeg
    A44921F3-B7B2-4CBB-A96A-C50FD64C8D23.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 199
  • C112A626-0778-4240-9445-14FCF76E2B7F.jpeg
    C112A626-0778-4240-9445-14FCF76E2B7F.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 192
  • CF2A00B0-7236-4185-B77C-D02CB12E00C8.jpeg
    CF2A00B0-7236-4185-B77C-D02CB12E00C8.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 190

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see some dirts inside the the bowl and the toilet seat. The toilet seat looks as if it is shit stain. But also looks new so I don’t know if it is normal . Pics below

You will often see some dust/dirt in the box with the new toilets. They come from a factory, not a hospital. That is not a problem. I always spiff things up after installing. You will want the bowl clean before the first use. It helps the bowl to stay clean longer.

Questions1

Reaction score
I had this installed by a plumber today. I noticed that when you flush, there is very little water going down although the flushing works fine . This is 1.7. When I told I need a new toilet that has good strong flush ,he advised me to buy 1.4 or more and this is 1.7. After he installed the new one I asked him why there is not a lot of water coming down during flush he told me it is Normal with the new toilets for the last several years. The one I had until today is maybe at least 10 or 30 years old I believe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most modern toilets use a siphon jet...that's the hole towards the front of the toilet near the bottom. It jets water out there to get the waste moving so there isn't as much that comes down from the top to clean the bowl. That's the compromise on how to use less water when flushing...potentially poorer bowl wash. Older toilets didn't have that, filled the bowl way higher, and that height and weight of the water then caused it to start to flow out. As a result, often, most of the bowl was literally submerged...that could take over 7 gallons on a really old toilet. That's a lot of resources.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had this installed by a plumber today. I noticed that when you flush, there is very little water going down although the flushing works fine . This is 1.7. When I told I need a new toilet that has good strong flush ,he advised me to buy 1.4 or more and this is 1.7. After he installed the new one I asked him why there is not a lot of water coming down during flush he told me it is Normal with the new toilets for the last several years. The one I had until today is maybe at least 10 or 30 years old I believe.
Nice. Put away the plunger. Keep the brush.

Questions1

Reaction score
Most modern toilets use a siphon jet...that's the hole towards the front of the toilet near the bottom. It jets water out there to get the waste moving so there isn't as much that comes down from the top to clean the bowl. That's the compromise on how to use less water when flushing...potentially poorer bowl wash. Older toilets didn't have that, filled the bowl way higher, and that height and weight of the water then caused it to start to flow out. As a result, often, most of the bowl was literally submerged...that could take over 7 gallons on a really old toilet. That's a lot of resources.
What about ?
1.6 GPF
I see many toilet with flush rate of 1.2. I was advised to buy 1.4 or more but I bought even stronger 1.6. What’s that number for ? The strength of the flush or the amount of water that comes when flushing ? I thought I bought a toilet powerful flush with lots of water. Not a lot of water going down when flushing. The tank refill after a flush takes about 35 secs. Not as fast as I wanted.

Last edited:

Questions1

Reaction score
I think it is just a litter of water, that is less then half a gallon and not 1.6 as described cos there is hardly any water seen when flushing . The older one had more water when flushing and Only problem I had was the clogging issue.

Mliu

Reaction score
I think it is just a litter of water, that is less then half a gallon and not 1.6 as described cos there is hardly any water seen when flushing . The older one had more water when flushing and Only problem I had was the clogging issue.
As Jadnashua stated, modern toilets use a siphon jet to flush the bowl contents; very little water flows from under the rim. That's why it looks like only a small amount of water is being used; most of the water flow occurs below the water line so you don't see it.

There's nothing you can do about this other than buy highly-rated toilets from a reputable manufacturer. Even the low-priced name-brand toilets found in big box stores will typically have poorer flush performance compared to the higher-priced models. But ultimately, there is only so much that can be done with 1.6 GPF (or less). A good modern toilet will almost never clog (although that also depends on the physiology of the user; some people have an intestinal tract that regularly generates toilet-clogging bowel movements). However, virtually all modern toilets have difficulty washing the bowl because the water spot is so small and the amount of rinsing flush water from the rim is so limited. You simply have to live with scrubbing your toilet more frequently.

Questions1

Reaction score
I hear water running noise from the new toilet like every 10 mins for 1 min. Keeps hearing the noise every 10 mins for a min. I thought my wife was using the toilet but not. It is almost midnight and I am in living room and could hear.I went to open the toilet cover and it is not water flowing in the toilet. It is a noise I believe from the tank. I had this installed today 9 hours ago. There is no water leaking on the bathroom floor or anywhere outside though.

What's the problem and why? Is this normal with the new toilets? Thanks I waited in the bathroom to hear the noise again and opened the tank cover what I noticed was that when the water runs for 10 secs , I noticed water filling up and when the noise stops the water goes down very little . The tank is already almost full of water even before the noise.

Attachments

• 35D5E95A-D60B-4F39-97B1-76649E68E159.jpeg
    35D5E95A-D60B-4F39-97B1-76649E68E159.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Mliu

Reaction score
What's the problem and why? Is this normal with the new toilets? Thanks
Not normal. As to the problem and why, how could we know other than to guess? The most likely reason is that the flush valve has a tiny leak and the fill valve is periodically refilling the tank. A small flush valve leak won't be seen as water flowing down the sides of the bowl because it will flow directly to the submerged siphon.

Questions1

Reaction score
Not normal. As to the problem and why, how could we know other than to guess? The most likely reason is that the flush valve has a tiny leak and the fill valve is periodically refilling the tank. A small flush valve leak won't be seen as water flowing down the sides of the bowl because it will flow directly to the submerged siphon.
took a videobut won't upload here saying too big. i dont know how to edit so i can't post the video but here is the thing, I waited in the bathroom to hear the noise again and opened the tank cover what I noticed was that when the water runs for 10 secs , I noticed water filling up and when the noise stops the water goes down very little . The tank is already almost full of water even before the noise.

Mliu

Reaction score
Water cannot continue to fill into the tank without it going somewhere. If the fill float is set too high, the water will rise above the overflow tube. This will be obvious, and typically the water runs continuously in such situations. If the water is not going over and down the overflow, and the fill valve is opening intermittently as you say, then the water must be draining out of the tank somewhere. It's either going into the bowl or going onto your floor. If your floor is dry, it must be going into the bowl.

Put some blue food coloring in the tank and wait a little while without flushing. If you see blue in your bowl, then you know where the water is going.

Questions1

Reaction score
Water cannot continue to fill into the tank without it going somewhere. If the fill float is set too high, the water will rise above the overflow tube. This will be obvious, and typically the water runs continuously in such situations. If the water is not going over and down the overflow, and the fill valve is opening intermittently as you say, then the water must be draining out of the tank somewhere. It's either going into the bowl or going onto your floor. If your floor is dry, it must be going into the bowl.

Put some blue food coloring in the tank and wait a little while without flushing. If you see blue in your bowl, then you know where the water is going.
Think this is an easy fix by the plumber? Can't imagine having to remove the toilet, return for new toilet from home depot. too heavy, not my thing and costly . Will the seller home depot do anything if i complain about this?

Mliu

Reaction score
Think this is an easy fix by the plumber? Can't imagine having to remove the toilet, return for new toilet from home depot. too heavy, not my thing and costly . Will the seller home depot do anything if i complain about this?
You took this on as a DIY project and this is one of the potential costs in doing so. I'm not knocking DIY, but you should be prepared for the consequences when things don't work out as planned.

It's probably an easy fix but who knows? If it's just the flush valve, it is easy and cheap. If the tank is cracked, then not easy nor cheap. It's no longer Home Depot's responsibility unless you can demonstrate that the problem was due to a material or manufacturing defect. But, for example, how do they know if the tank was cracked when sold or if you dropped it loading/unloading it from your car? Or if you banged it on the banister on the way up the stairs?

Have you even found the problem yet? Until you do so, everything else is pointless speculation.

Questions1

Reaction score
I am returning this. It is too high. our feet won't touch the floor when sitting on the seat. the water runs in the tank.

Home depot processed the return and I consulted with them for 2 hours and ordered this one, little smaller and not too high. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTO-Dr...p-Lever-in-Cotton-White-CST743SR-01/300818437 I know i waste money uninstalling this installing this by a plumber. not my DYI, but i have no choice if this toilet doesn't suit us. They gave me a deal on the new one so that makes up for something for the labor cost.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are OK with round, you will be very pleased with the toilet.

For something you use as often as a toilet, get one you will like.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks