Washer drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Natasha

Reaction score
Recently just moved into a house. (Little over a week ago) Theres a washer hook up in our half bath. With the drain pipe in the center of the dry wall. This morning I notice a ton of water on the floor, and we couldnt find the source. Come home from an errand an hr ago and we hear water flowing. My husband and I head into the bathroom and we see water gushing from the washer drain pipe. Currently there is no washer hooked up, we haven't had one hooked up since we moved in. There was about a good inch or two on the floor. My husband just thinks its bc its rain alot this past week... has anyone had this happen to a washer drain that wasnt in use? Or may even have any ideas what it could be???

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If you have a combination sewer storm and sanitary and have one main trap/ sewer line and it is blocked then this could account for the back up

Natasha

Reaction score
If you have a combination sewer storm and sanitary and have one main trap/ sewer line and it is blocked then this could account for the back up
How would I be able to figure this out?? **CLUELESS**

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's also likely that you have a blocked main line that needs work and the overflow is from that. Was anyone taking a shower upstairs or flushing toilets?

Reach4

Reaction score
Interestingly, the toilet in the same room is below the standpipe opening, and it is not flooding.

I am guessing you are not on city sewer. Do you have a stream nearby?

Was the sump pump running? I am thinking that the person who put that in wanted to not run the washing machine into the septic tank. They joined that washing machine standpipe to feed the water to wherever the sump pump pumps its water.

Last edited:

Natasha

Reaction score
It's also likely that you have a blocked main line that needs work and the overflow is from that. Was anyone taking a shower upstairs or flushing toilets?
No sir. We do have a pool and a dish washer. But neither of those were running either

Natasha

Reaction score
Someone mentioned the toilet. That's not flooding.
Hope everyone can see the water flowing. I have a video that I will upload as well

Attachments

• 20190510_115210.jpg
    20190510_115210.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 153

Natasha

Reaction score
Interestingly, the toilet in the same room is below the standpipe opening, and it is not flooding.

I am guessing you are not on city sewer. Do you have a stream nearby?

Was the sump pump running?
Yes. We believe the sump was running. Sorry. Were first time home owners so were still learning. All our knowledge is from friends.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. We believe the sump was running. Sorry. Were first time home owners so were still learning. All our knowledge is from friends.
  1. Septic tank, right?
  2. Where does the sump pump water go?
As a work-around, plug that hole with a test plug. Measure the ID (inside diameter) of the hole. 1.5 inches or 2 inches? Buy a test plug made for that size.
red-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33400-64_145.jpg

Last edited:

Natasha

Reaction score
  1. Septic tank, right?
  2. Where does the sump pump water go?
As a work-around, plug that hole with a test plug. Measure the ID (inside diameter) of the hole. 1.5 inches or 2 inches? Buy a test plug made for that size.
red-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33400-64_145.jpg
As far as what the inspector and seller of the house told us, its through the city sewage line.
Thanks for the link. Well get right on that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks