Sewage Pit

Users who are viewing this thread

CanadianSal

Reaction score
My home sits on a Septic System. The basement has a roughed in Toilet and Shower. In searching for the Pit, I found it in the next room - concreted over and unmarked. This house is about 30 years old. I finally found the hollow spot and found the pit.
Its filled with Water. The Water actually rises and falls - I am assuming that this dissipates under the foundation f the house?

My question is - if I install the Sewage Bin and the Ejector pump, do I need to install a sump pump in the same pit? So I will need to fit 2 bins side by side in the same pit?
I am assuming that there should have been a sump pump in that pit all along. I have set up a temporary put to get the water out, but my main goal is to install the toilet and Shower - so I will need the ejector pump installed. Thoughts on how to manage this?

Sal

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally to catch the ground water, you have a trench or pit gravel lined with a sump pump to the outside. That pump can have a 1.5" line with check valve.
The sewage ejector needs to be tight and contained to prevent odors. It will need a 2"pipe with check valve and shutoff leading to a 4" if you have it, or at least a 3".
The sewage pump also needs a 2" vent to the air through the roof.

CanadianSal

Reaction score
Thank you. Does this mean that i will have to dig adjacent separate pit to catch the water? I am new to this, and I was assuming that perhaps, I can dig the pit deeper and install a submersible pump under the basin? this way everything can be sealed? I am guessing this is not correct?
And I saw somewhere on the forum that Putting holes in the basin is not a good idea either.

Reach4

Reaction score
Its filled with Water. The Water actually rises and falls - I am assuming that this dissipates under the foundation f the house?
If it were a septic pit, it would contain stuff that would not usually be described as water. Were you being overly delicate when you said water? You might have a water cistern or even a well in the basement, and the septic tank is out in the yard. Follow the sewer pipes in the basement. Where do they point to?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks