Brass Champion/Superior Sprinkler Controller/Actuator Slow Drip

Is it likely that the stem is the problem? And if so is there a repair option?

• No, stem is not likely the problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, the stem is likely, but there is no repair option.

• Yes, the stem is likely, and you can repair it by adding something to the stem (ky, etc.)

• Yes, the stem is likely, but you need to replace the stem.

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

mattchowla

Reaction score
I've replaced all the rubber parts on my sprinkler controller (see the diagram of similar unit), but it still continues to have a very slow drip (inside the line). There's no visible water on the outside of the controller, but if I remove the anti-siphon cap I can see a slow drip. The unit doesn't make any noise during the slow drip, so it doesn't sound like the pressure above the diaphragm is being released causing the seat washer to rise.

I suspected the seat might be damaged, but it feels smooth and I put another controller on it and it didn't leak.

I replaced diaphragms on other units and they worked, so I think I'm doing that correctly.

The brass unit looks in good condition. All the openings don't look corroded.

Any suggestions? Is there anything else I should be looking at to see if the brass unit is irreversibly damaged? My only other thought is that the stem that connects the seat washer to the diaphragm is worn and too much water is getting in around it into the bottom of the diaphragm.

Thanks!!!

upload_2019-4-23_16-19-12.png

upload_2019-4-23_16-20-4.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
..... My only other thought is that the stem that connects the seat washer to the diaphragm is worn and too much water is getting in around it into the bottom of the diaphragm.

Sorry I'm not familiar with this unit. Like you say a drop or two per minute, after a few days minerals in the water may plug up this weep. During the rebuild did you remove the solenoid and cleaned up the area of minerals or debris? You can try getting a bottle of spray foam CLR cleaners. Soak the brass down and let it soak a while to dissolve mineral deposits.

There are a few Youtube videos out there that might help but it sound like your assessment maybe correct.

mattchowla

Reaction score
I took everything apart and cleaned it, but there wasn't much if anything to clean off.

One thing that's always puzzled me is how the stem can be hexagonal shaped and the opening is circular, so the area at the bottom of the diaphragm is not watertight. Wouldn't this cause the pressure to equalize just like when the solenoid is open?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm guessing now but maybe the water from the sprinkler side is siphoning back to the off/closed controller? By chance is that zone at a slightly higher elevation?

mattchowla

Reaction score
Yes, the zone is higher elevation, though only by a few feet. Because of this, there's always a little bit of water backflowing to the anti-siphon on this zone. Do you think this is causing the problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks