Whole house filter for 0.20 mg/L iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Titan17

Reaction score
First post here. I've come to this site many times in the past but couldn't find answer to my minor well water problem. Background info: shallow well, jet pump, 5 gpm flow, 1 bathroom/1 person home. Problem: disolved iron (0.20 mg/L) & low pH (6.2). Water test results by testing lab.

All below acceptable limits but the pH needs to be corrected and the modest amount of disolved iron is an annoyance.
I'd like to know if a cartridge style system is feasible such as 3 stage big blue 4.5" x 20" with calcite, iron, and sediment. I hope to avoid a backwash system. I have a rough filter after pressure tank that seldom needs cleaning.
The advice I've been getting from vendors seems to steer towards more $$$ higher maintenance systems resulting in higher sales profits.
Any advice from knowledgeable persons is appreciated.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Cartridges are far more expensive to maintain than backwashing or tank style systems. The miniscule amount of media available in a BB format is simply too small for a whole house application. These types of filters are better suited to commercial drinking water applications rather than whole house. Contact time is also key so running water through a calcite BB filter will simply not be adequate to correct pH. The most common tank used for minimal pH correction for a whole house application hold over 10-15x more media than a BB.

Titan17

Reaction score
Cartridges are far more expensive to maintain than backwashing or tank style systems. The miniscule amount of media available in a BB format is simply too small for a whole house application. These types of filters are better suited to commercial drinking water applications rather than whole house. Contact time is also key so running water through a calcite BB filter will simply not be adequate to correct pH. The most common tank used for minimal pH correction for a whole house application hold over 10-15x more media than a BB.

Yes this advice seems to ring true with everyone with experience. I do my own installations so will save there. There's a used system for $300 with a fleck 5600 that's an hour away. Used is fine I think for the calcite system.
Because my iron is so low at 0.2 mg/L maybe the big blue 20" with an iron filter followed by a 5 micron will work???

Titan17

Reaction score
Calcite tanks should have a fill port.

I had a neutralizer years ago. They haven't changed other than lcd control. I had the Fleck mechanical control - easy and cheap to rebuild; I like that.
This used system is 2 years old with a fresh refill in it. He said he will take much less - wants it gone. But it's over 3 hrs round trip. Any opinions on using a cartridge iron filter in lieu of a backwash.

Titan17

Reaction score
The mention of a Fill Port was for your benefit as the control valve would not need to be removed to add media.

Yes. Same as post #3 above.

In regards to using a tank style system, would an upflo calcite system work just as well as a backwash unit. Followed by a backwash iron unit. A neighbor will give me a new 1 cu. ft. upflo calcite tank. My water has no silt, sand, etc.; Very clear & clean. I'll also use a pre filter if necessary (20 micron???).

Reach4

Reaction score
In regards to using a tank style system, would an upflo calcite system work just as well as a backwash unit.
No, but probably well enough. You could do some of your own backwashing by adding in a valve that would let you blow out 5 gpm from your 9 inch tank every few weeks.

Your water is not all that acidic.

Followed by a backwash iron unit.
That that would probably be a softener to remove the hardness including that added by the calcite as well as the iron.

Titan17

Reaction score
No, but probably well enough. You could do some of your own backwashing by adding in a valve that would let you blow out 5 gpm from your 9 inch tank every few weeks.

Your water is not all that acidic.

That that would probably be a softener to remove the hardness including that added by the calcite as well as the iron.

Thanks for both replies. Re: 6.2 pH isn't that low. I'm glad you said that. The old water heater was a cheapo that was 9 years old and still in service. The house is all pex now so I may just use an iron backwash system and filter.
Trying to keep cost and maintenance down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks