American Standard Cadet Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Samat

Reaction score
I have an American Standard Cadet Pro elongated toilet. It is a 1.28 GPF version. What can I do to convert it to a 1.6 GPF version. In order to make it flush totally all the time I hold the handle down extra time. Still at times it doesn’t burp and break the siphon. I thought that making it a 1.6 might help. The fill is adjusted properly

cadet-pro-07.jpg

Cadet Pro 215CA.004

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some toilets are just duds. Can't say if that's the case on yours. But, if things are slow to flush, there are a few things you can check.

The siphon jet on that type of toilet may have some mineral deposits in it. Or, there may be some foreign object caught in it. That's what starts the flush. But, if there's something caught in the trapway, or in the line, that can slow down or prevent it from flushing properly.

One quick test is to fill a large bucket, and pour it quickly into the toilet to see how it handles it. It should flush itself if you pour it fast. If you then try to pour it slowly, you should get the whole bucket emptied without the level rising much. When you stop, it should return to the original height in the bowl. If the bowl now is at a higher level, you may have found your problem.

The tank AND bowl must be full for it to flush properly. IF the bowl starts out lower than it should (the fill valve stops when the TANK is full, it assumes the balance of flow between that and the bowl is proper to get the bowl full), it won't flush properly. A common problem is if the hose in the tank is not filling the bowl...it must be positioned properly. Or, if you've changed the fill valve and it's not an OEM version, the balance between the bowl and tank is not correct. There are adjustable aftermarket ones, you don't have to use an OEM one.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a Americsn Standard Cadet Pro elongated toilet. It is a 1.28 GPF version. What can I do to convert it to a 1.6 GPF version. In order to make it flush totally all the time I hold the handle down extra time. Still at times it doesn’t burp and break the siphon. I thought that making it a 1.6 might help. The fill is adjusted properly
If this has a regular flapper, they make adjustable-flush flappers in both 2 and 3 inch.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fluidmaster makes an adjustable 3" flapper that will drop more water for you.
Also make sure that the refill tube is directed down the overflow tube. The bowl needs to be refilled after a flush to guarantee a good flush for next time.

cadet-pro-08.jpg

Last edited:

Samat

Reaction score
Everything is set up properly. It’s just annoying that this intermittent problem of not flushing fully happens. I will try a adjustable flapper to see what happens. It just makes no sense why it happens intermittently with both solid and liquid waste. The second flush always works. My real question is what is the physical difference between the 1.6 and 1.28 version of this toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Everything is set up properly. It’s just annoying that this intermittent problem of not flushing fully happens. I will try a adjustable flapper to see what happens. It just makes no sense why it happens intermittently with both solid and liquid waste. The second flush always works.

The water in the bowl needs to be at the correct level for a good flush. Sometimes when an opposing bowl is flushed, it pushes water from the other bowl. So.....you flush it, and it refills to the proper level, and Bingo! It now flushes correctly.

Samat

Reaction score
The bowl seems to always be at the correct level and there is no opposing bowl.

cadet-pro-14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Samat

Reaction score
Just checked out the flapper. It’s a fluidmaster 540. The flapper was set to 1 adjusted it to 10. Think this will solve my problems. Flushes much more water.

Rajan

Reaction score
Just checked out the flapper. It’s a fluidmaster 540. The flapper was set to 1 adjusted it to 10. Think this will solve my problems. Flushes much more water.

Its funny - I have a 1.6 gallon Cadet Pro and I was not greatly impressed by its flushing power. Then I realized the flapper was an adjustable Fluidmaster one - so I changed it from 1 to 10. It flushes with real gusto now!

I am still a bit annoyed that the powerwash rim doesn't get water on to the entire surface of the bowl though...

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'd consider dialing the adjustment back until you find the point where it just works rather than leaving it at max. This will minimize your water use and potentially save you both on buying the water and on sewer costs. If it was using the design amount at a setting of 1, on 10, it is using lots more water per flush, and technically, may no longer meet your province's code requirements. Best to lower it to a point where it just works for you for both your pocketbook and the environment.

There are other toilets out there that actually work at the mandated flush volume. Some brands just don't put in the engineering work to make that happen.

Rajan

Reaction score
I'd consider dialing the adjustment back until you find the point where it just works rather than leaving it at max. This will minimize your water use and potentially save you both on buying the water and on sewer costs. If it was using the design amount at a setting of 1, on 10, it is using lots more water per flush, and technically, may no longer meet your province's code requirements. Best to lower it to a point where it just works for you for both your pocketbook and the environment.

There are other toilets out there that actually work at the mandated flush volume. Some brands just don't put in the engineering work to make that happen.

I hear you... but I like the fact that the Cadet Pro gives me a choice to dial up the flush ferocity should I choose to. I might try dialing back to an 8 or 7 if I can be borthered trying to adjust the flapper again (its not very easy!).

Got to say there is something rather satisfying about a flush with a bit of power and drama...

Jadnashua

Reaction score
FWIW, most of the Toto flushes are very abrupt, but they work. Most of the magic happens beneath the surface with the siphon jet when it's done well. Older, less efficient designs are more violent and waste water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks