Broken Mobile Home Water Meter

Users who are viewing this thread

Alphabetized

Reaction score
I own a vacation mobile home in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. I am not there right now. Last night my next door neighbor called to tell me water was leaking out near the main water line access. Also, we have had meters for only about 5 months. Another neighbor went over and tried to shut off the water via the main valve and could not.

Today the park manager and handyman went over and pronounced the meter broken. An examination of my water bills shows that since mid-February there has been 0 water usage. (I have autopay and often only look at the amount.) Since this happened in February, an assumption has been made that the meter froze, and I am responsible for repair which will cost over $300.

I am at the trailer about 10-14 days a month in the winter. Not once has there been any change in water pressure. Sinks, toilet, water heater all have been working perfectly since the last plumbing problem 8 years ago. I have never heard water running. How is this possible?

The utility has no answer. The meter manufacturer, Master Meter, has no answer. If I'm responsible for this, I need to understand what happened.

This mobile home park has an old well water system which often leaks requiring system shutdown. When it's turned back on, a lot of dirt needs to be flushed out and we have boil notices. I'm always cleaning out the faucet screens. I don't know of any way to clean out the meter.

Am I to look forward to this happening every winter? I know some other trailers have had their meters break, but I don't know any details or the number.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Alphabetized

Reaction score
I own a vacation mobile home in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. I am not there right now. Last night my next door neighbor called to tell me water was leaking out near the main water line access. Also, we have had meters for only about 5 months. Another neighbor went over and tried to shut off the water via the main valve and could not.

Today the park manager and handyman went over and pronounced the meter broken. An examination of my water bills shows that since mid-February there has been 0 water usage. (I have autopay and often only look at the amount.) Since this happened in February, an assumption has been made that the meter froze, and I am responsible for repair which will cost over $300.

I am at the trailer about 10-14 days a month in the winter. Not once has there been any change in water pressure. Sinks, toilet, water heater all have been working perfectly since the last plumbing problem 8 years ago. I have never heard water running. How is this possible?

The utility has no answer. The meter manufacturer, Master Meter, has no answer. If I'm responsible for this, I need to understand what happened.

This mobile home park has an old well water system which often leaks requiring system shutdown. When it's turned back on, a lot of dirt needs to be flushed out and we have boil notices. I'm always cleaning out the faucet screens. I don't know of any way to clean out the meter.

Am I to look forward to this happening every winter? I know some other trailers have had their meters break, but I don't know any details or the number.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

SINCE I WROTE THIS IN THE MORNING, I have heard from Master Meter and am so appreciative of the help I have been given. (Yes I'm impatient.) Their meters have plugs that pop out when the temperature goes below freezing, small but sufficient to keep the water flowing and take pressure off the internal parts. Most of the water keeps flowing into the pipes. So we have answered the continued water pressure question. However, that water flow is always metered unless there is something wrong. The post-shutdown dirt may be the cause: only workbench inspection of the meter can answer that. Not all water meters have pre-filters.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this meter outdoors above the frost line? That doesn't sound good.

Alphabetized

Reaction score
Is this meter outdoors above the frost line? That doesn't sound good.
It's a mobile home. The meter is underneath at ground level within the standard plastic skirting. I never received formal notice of the meter's installation. When I finally learned it had been installed, it didn't occur to me I was responsible to insulate and heat tape it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks