Could Plumber have damaged my Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ambergold

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Scala 2, less than a year old.

All was running fine but our expansion vessel and pressure reducer valve went and we had to get them replaced.

The plumber (that supplied the pump originally) finished the job and now the pump runs all the time unless it’s set at its lowest pressure. While he was on the premises I asked him to turn the pump to the highest setting and he was quite evasive encouraging us to leave it at its lowest setting. Then he raised the case of the faulty pump encouraging us to make a warranty claim.

Thoughts,

Roger.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Scala 2, less than a year old.

All was running fine but our expansion vessel and pressure reducer valve went and we had to get them replaced.

The plumber (that supplied the pump originally) finished the job and now the pump runs all the time unless it’s set at its lowest pressure. While he was on the premises I asked him to turn the pump to the highest setting and he was quite evasive encouraging us to leave it at its lowest setting. Then he raised the case of the faulty pump encouraging us to make a warranty claim.

Thoughts,

Roger.

Your Scala 2 is still under mfg. warranty. Don't delay. Put in your warranty claim with the mfg.

And no, there isn't a whole lot your plumber could do that would ruin the pump. What type of pipes do you have?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Variable speed type pumps like the Scala2 are designed with planned obsolescence or frequent replacement as the main design criteria. The warranty rate on these type pumps is extremely high. However, they sell so many replacements for the ones that just make it through the warranty period that the pump manufacturers make a lot of money in the long term. Plumbers like these type pumps because the pump manufacturers tell them they don't have to know anything about pumps. Just plumb it in and turn it on. Smart pumps are supposed to do everything so you don't have to worry your pretty little head about it. LOL!

However, if you want something inexpensive that will last 20/30 years without problems, a regular jet pump and a PK1A kit is best.

PK1A with Jet Pump vertical sized.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Why is there a galvanized nipple connected to the brass? NOT a good idea

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump is also cast iron. Somewhere we have to change from iron/cast to SS or Brass. Teflon makes a pretty good dielectric union. Electric tape over the two dissimilar metals also helps. But electrolysis is not as much of a problem above ground as it is down the well.

Ambergold

Reaction score
Right was onto Grundfos today, something about a pressure mismatch in the system. Asked me to pump the expansion vessel and see if it stopped, it did.

Quick question how many bar to pump the vessel to and does it have to be drained first? It’s an 18
L one.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have to drain all the water from the tank to check the air charge. But if you pumped it up and your problem went away, check how much air you have now, because it is apparently enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks