Submersible pump wires identification

Users who are viewing this thread

Gassan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got a three phase submersible pump that I have to test by putting it into the mains. I'm afraid to test it because I'm not really sure whether it's a three phase or a single phase motor.

There are six leads. The internal connections are not visible because they are within the enclosure. I don't want to disassemble it just to see the connections as doing so might lead to risk of water leakage in the future.

Three of those leads are interconnected. They have continuity and there are around 3.5 ohms between each of the leads. The colors of the these wire are red, white and black.

The rest of the three leads don't have any connection between each other. One of them, a green wire, for sure is the earth. It has continuity with the body of the pump.

The remaining two leads are white in color. As mentioned, they don't have continuity with each other and any of the other wires as well. This is what made me worry. I couldn't figure out what could be the purpose of these wires. Could it be switch connection? Could it be for some kind of motor control? I don't know.

Since the resistance between each of the interconnected leads are about the same, I guess they are coming from three coils of an induction motor. If the motor is single phase capacitor start, induction run type, then I expect the resistance between the leads to have different values.

That's as far as I can describe my problem. I can attach two photos of the actual thing.

Hope someone would pop up with a brilliant solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20190409_172602.jpg
    IMG_20190409_172602.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20190409_172614.jpg
    IMG_20190409_172614.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 233

Reach4

Reaction score
The remaining two leads are white in color. As mentioned, they don't have continuity with each other and any of the other wires as well. This is what made me worry. I couldn't figure out what could be the purpose of these wires. Could it be switch connection? Could it be for some kind of motor control? I don't know.
Any continuity on the two mystery wires when you switch tho the high-ohms range?

Possibly some switch closes the path between those wires under some circumstance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks