Replacing a cast iron tub in a 1921 house with a 5x7 bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Doug Tukwila

Reaction score
I bought the family house from my siblings and remember my dad saying 40 years ago that it was pure torture to install the 60" cast iron tub. It is in sad shape.

I thought about a refinish, but I do not like the tub at all.

Which kind of tub would be the easiest to install? I have looked at about everything. I thought an undermount might be a possibility? I AM OPEN to ideas. I have never done this before (like everything else I have already done to the house.

Thanks!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I like cast iron but I did settle on Americast as I hated carrying a 5 ft CI up 5 flights of stairs

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like cast iron but I did settle on Americast as I hated carrying a 5 ft CI up 5 flights of stairs

Five flights and no elevator? Dang! You must be in good shape.
Americast would be good for sure. The old cast can come out in pieces if needed. I cover it in plastic before I hit to contain the shrapnel of flying glass chips. And eye protection.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A full 40% of my Manhattan residencial accounts were 5 story walk ups

Reason for the 5 story was no elevator requirements so they had more space for apartments and different laws were in effect for 5 stories
Back in the 1980's the minute someone moved out we were hired to install a CI tub plus rehab the apartment as the rents were insane once the apartment became unstabilized

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...b6f98cda4dd51a!8m2!3d40.7829588!4d-73.9512743

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Terry here is another one of my old accounts as it is no fun working in Manhattan any more with a ticket blitz and traffic is murder . It can take over an HR to drive from East side to west less than 2 miles

The one above is 1650 3rs ave (5 story walk up)

Here is 234 W 56 another very old 5 story walk up Seems ever callI ever had was on the top floor or the roof

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...e9fc32c8cb570a!8m2!3d40.7655339!4d-73.9826471

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks