Submersible pump will not start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tgogary

Reaction score
I have a 3 wire 3/4 go pump. I have 125 volts on each of the three wires at the well head. I bought a new pump. It does not start.
Is voltage correct 125v on line 1 and 2? And 125v on the start wire?
Done this indicate the new pump is bad?

Tgogary

Reaction score
You need 240V between the two hot legs. 125 on both legs to ground isn't telling you anything. Is the box clicking and buzzing?

There is 125 on each line leg. Measuring to ground. There is 245v reading across the two lines. There is a 125 volt reading on the start wire when measured to ground.

Tgogary

Reaction score
There is 125 on each line leg. Measuring to ground. There is 245v reading across the two lines. There is a 125 volt reading on the start wire when measured to ground.

What should be the voltage on the third starter wire?

Tgogary

Reaction score
Ohm the wires down hole. Sounds like you have an open leg. Either a wire broke or the motor has an open leg.

I have pulled the pump. I disconnected the wires down the hole. I connected the pump leads directly to the leads from the control box. That connection is at the well head. 3 WIR with ground cable goes from control in well house underground to well head.
Could that cable habe a problem. That is why I asked about the start wire voltage.
Do you still want me to measure the resistance?

Reach4

Reaction score
What should be the voltage on the third starter wire?
I don't know what the yellow to red voltage should be. If you can measure the currents, with a clamp-around ammeter, that could be useful.

On a 230 (240) volt pump, do not measure the voltages with respect to ground. It is not helpful, and it can be confusing.

He still wants you to measure resistance. For resistance measurements, make sure the power is off. You could be extra sure by putting a couple plastic bread clips between the pressure switch contacts while you are taking resistance measurements.

Tgogary

Reaction score
I don't know what the yellow to red voltage should be. If you can measure the currents, with a clamp-around ammeter, that could be useful.

On a 230 (240) volt pump, do not measure the voltages with respect to ground. It is not helpful, and it can be confusing.
Tthanks. I have 245v across the two lines.

Reach4

Reaction score
B to Y should be 240. R to Y should start at ..... I don't know... somewhere between 50 and 220 I would guess. When you find out, let us know. It would be useful to know the individual current through the red and the B and the Y wires.

When the pump starts, the R wire current should go to zero or near zero, because a relay opens the connection.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have pulled the pump. I disconnected the wires down the hole. I connected the pump leads directly to the leads from the control box. That connection is at the well head. 3 WIR with ground cable goes from control in well house underground to well head.
Could that cable habe a problem. That is why I asked about the start wire voltage.
Do you still want me to measure the resistance?

So did the pump run when connected directly to the box?

Tgogary

Reaction score
So did the pump run when connected directly to the box?

I had to leave the site. But when connecting the pump at the well head. It will not start. The start relay does not close. It stays open and continues to send 125v to the well head.
I should be back at the site in an hour.
Thanks.

Tgogary

Reaction score
I always have trouble with measuring to ground on 240v.
You helped.
Now I could not get a voltage across b to y. I found the cable had been damaged. With the wetness it got much worse. I am replacing the cable from the control box to well head. Hopefully that will solve it.
If I do not post again. You helped me solve the problem.
Gracias.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks