Slot Width/Mesh Size + pipe size = GPM formula ?

Users who are viewing this thread

stormlight

Reaction score
Hello, is there a formula to determine GPM when you know pipe size and slot size.

For example what would my GPM be with:

1 1/4 inch pipe X .006 slot size or aka 100 Mesh
1 1/4 inch pipe X .010 slot size or aka 60 Mesh
1 1/4 inch pipe X .020 slot size or aka 30 Mesh

2 inch pipe X .006 slot size or aka 100 Mesh
2 inch pipe X .010 slot size or aka 60 Mesh
2 inch pipe X .020 slot size or aka 30 Mesh

As a side question has anyone seen a .006 in a residential use?

Thanks !

Midriller

Reaction score
yea we use 6 slot screen here in MI on 2" or 1-1/4" stab wells in fine sand, production is minimal but has more to do with keeping fines out than high GPM. You are missing a variable as well the formula is "Pipe size x screen slot size x screen length" but even more than that manufacturer, screen composition, gravel pack or developed. What is it that you are trying to accomplish. As a driller, the composition of the aquifer is the only determining factor in slot size. the screen can be 40' long or longer if i need the flow.
Check this out, it may or may not tell you what your looking for (also play with the calculators)

stormlight

Reaction score
Thank you,

When you say production is minimal what are you getting? Are you getting something like on the Johnson page? 8gpm for a .006 per standard screen length?

So if my goal is 16gpm and I know that the aquifer can support that, I can buy two 2 inch sand point screens at .006 connect them and drive them into the ground.

By the way are you near the lakes in Michigan ? Where are you getting fine sand? I’m in coastal CA with lots of sand.

Thanks again

yea we use 6 slot screen here in MI on 2" or 1-1/4" stab wells in fine sand, production is minimal but has more to do with keeping fines out than high GPM. You are missing a variable as well the formula is "Pipe size x screen slot size x screen length" but even more than that manufacturer, screen composition, gravel pack or developed. What is it that you are trying to accomplish. As a driller, the composition of the aquifer is the only determining factor in slot size. the screen can be 40' long or longer if i need the flow.
Check this out, it may or may not tell you what your looking for (also play with the calculators)

stormlight

Reaction score
This is for lawn iragation by the way.

Thank you,

When you say production is minimal what are you getting? Are you getting something like on the Johnson page? 8gpm for a .006 per standard screen length?

So if my goal is 16gpm and I know that the aquifer can support that, I can buy two 2 inch sand point screens at .006 connect them and drive them into the ground.

By the way are you near the lakes in Michigan ? Where are you getting fine sand? I’m in coastal CA with lots of sand.

Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks