Are the holes on a water heater where the gas valve screws in universal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tireshark

Reaction score
I have a water heater that needs a new gas valve, but no one in town stocks it. I have a spare water heater that isnt being used, and I would like to put the valve from that water heater on the one that isn't working, while I wait for parts.

Are the holes in the water heater where the valve screws in universal? It's a different gas valve, and before I took it off, wanted to make sure it would thread in properly.

The bad water heater is a Rheem XG50T06EC38U1, with a Honeywell Wv8840c1406 gas valve.

The valve I want to use as a replacement is a Rheem AP14270G, on a GE PG40T09AV00 water heater.

Thanks for any input.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, gas valves/thermostats holes have the same thread sizes.
I won't recommend using a different gas valve from an old WH. I have never done that after all those years. I even asked Mark, a frequent contributor here, and he said the same thing.
Use the one Rheem sends you.

Tireshark

Reaction score
Got new valve/wiring and burner fires up, but apparently the TRD device in the bottom has busted, because it wont stay lit. Rheem is sending another.

Problem is, when I was troubleshooting it I kept taking the burner assembly in and out, and one of the screws stripped out with it screwed in, and I cant get the burner assembly off.

Hate stripped screws/bolts... usually I cut the head off with an angle grinder, but dont think I can maneuver it in there.

Any tips on how to get this screw out? Take a small drill bit and drill straight through it?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hate stripped screws/bolts... usually I cut the head off with an angle grinder, but dont think I can maneuver it in there.

Any tips on how to get this screw out? Take a small drill bit and drill straight through it?
I would think you would only drill as far as the head goes, starting small and working bigger. Then pull the valve, and grab the screw shaft with locking pliers.

Flat head Phillips screws? I would measure one of the ones that works and find replacement screws... unless you suspect the replacement may come with new screws.

Tireshark

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. Here are some pics... it's the one in the upper left corner. It will spin, but it wont back out.

IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2430.JPG

Tireshark

Reaction score
Thx Terry. Yeah it's a torx, but it just spins and wont back out. Going to try to get some leverage on it tomorrow and unscrew while prying. If that doesn't work, will have to go to the power tools I guess.

Reach4

Reaction score
Those screw heads don't look like they are in too bad of shape. Maybe a better bit would do it.... something with less rounding/chamfer.

Tireshark

Reaction score
Thanks. I got it out, I pulled back on it pretty hard while unscrewing, and it finally caught and backed out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks