Does well water get extra dirty at times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
My question is I have pulled my well for the second time in three months. I have other issues besides what I'm asking now. I've noticed dirty Gravely debris that's in between the wire and pipe where I have it taped off approximately every 10 ft. I have not noticed this before but there is a lot of debris . I cannot believe that things can get that dirty after 3 months.
And so far this year we've had more rain and floods here in Western North Carolina set the ground will not absorb any more water. So imagine my well water is quite High I have not checked out yet but it appears that everything seems to be dirtier. Could that be because of all the trenchial rain. I am running a sediment filter and two whole house filters. But I have not been able to use them as of yet. Thank you in advance

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The amount of rain should have no impact on the water in the well. The well should be sealed to keep rain water out. If rain water gets in a well it takes the dog crap and fertilizer down with it. :eek:

Every time you work on a well you are stirring up the crud. It should clear up after pumping a little.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
The amount of rain should have no impact on the water in the well. The well should be sealed to keep rain water out. If rain water gets in a well it takes the dog crap and fertilizer down with it. :eek:

Every time you work on a well you are stirring up the crud. It should clear up after pumping a little.
Okay I've got some pictures different things I'm going to find someplace on this form I'm not sure where but I'm ready to hear what you will see everything I've done wrong. That's the only way Apprentice can become a journeyman right.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
20190306_220853_zpssfhprno6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Now that my pump is out and on the ground isn't there a easy way for me to find out if it's good or bad
Line a garbage can with a drum liner or two for cleanliness. Fill with water. Put pump in there.

You could pump into a pressure gauge blockage for a few seconds to get the deadhead pressure. You could spew water, but you will empty that garbage can to the intake in less than a second if the pump is working. So only momentary power.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
Line a garbage can with a drum liner or two for cleanliness. Fill with water. Put pump in there.

You could pump into a pressure gauge blockage for a few seconds to get the deadhead pressure. You could spew water, but you will empty that garbage can to the intake in less than a second if the pump is working. So only momentary power.
I've got a 4×16 above ground pool that very close.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
We have a winner. You can go horizontal or in between.
How long would you recommend I run it for it I do need to empty my pool and another question what the hell do I do if it does run I have been trying to get it to go in the well for a month LOL. Still say I've got a wire shorting out to ground somewhere but I'm going to be doing that with in about an hour I will send pictures

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
If it works in the pool it should work in the well. Just need to see how much pressure it will build before putting it down the well.
So to do that if I put a 10 piece of black pipe with cap and gauge at the end it won't lock the pump down or do I just it do I just run it momentarily

Reach4

Reaction score
So to do that if I put a 10 piece of black pipe with cap and gauge at the end it won't lock the pump down or do I just it do I just run it momentarily
Momentarily... Let's say 3 seconds... The danger is that there is no water flowing past the pump motor to cool it. I may be being too cautious, but 3 seconds would be more than enough for this purpose I think. Pipe could be black pipe if that is cheapest for you.

Your spec pump head at 0 gpm is 426, which is 184.5 psi. So you need a 200 psi pressure gauge. Fortunately for this experiment, they are very common. They are not idea for use at the pressure tank-- you want a 100 psi gauge for that.

So why do this? See if the pump behaves as expected or not.

https://www.premiumpumpsusa.com/img/4C2132W_02.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump will be fine for a minute or so with a closed valve. Just don't leave it completely closed longer than that. The amps should drop when you close the valve, which is the test to say your bearings are OK.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
Momentarily... Let's say 3 seconds... The danger is that there is no water flowing past the pump motor to cool it. I may be being too cautious, but 3 seconds would be more than enough for this purpose I think. Pipe could be black pipe if that is cheapest for you.

Your spec pump head at 0 gpm is 426, which is 184.5 psi. So you need a 200 psi pressure gauge. Fortunately for this experiment, they are very common. They are not idea for use at the pressure tank-- you want a 100 psi gauge for that.

So why do this? See if the pump behaves as expected or not.

https://www.premiumpumpsusa.com/img/4C2132W_02.jpg
Pictures gotta love them

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Three inches of pipe is no different than 10 sections. Just use a short nipple, tee, short nipple, then ball valve or a faucet. Put a gauge in the tee. Open the facet, start the pump, close faucet and see how much pressure the pump will build. Just don't leave the faucet closed more than a minute.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
Three inches of pipe is no different than 10 sections. Just use a short nipple, tee, short nipple, then ball valve or a faucet. Put a gauge in the tee. Open the facet, start the pump, close faucet and see how much pressure the pump will build. Just don't leave the faucet closed more than a minute.
I will get back with you on the results I would have never thought of doing it that away. That's great

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks