IPC Vent Grade

Users who are viewing this thread

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the interpretation of the IPC code saying that A and B are acceptable?
Where as the UPC clearly states only B is allowed

vent.png

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I vent up from the fixture being served Picture B

Picture A I would not find acceptable

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer
I do not find picture A as acceptable either,
BUT, am being told by IPC plumbers [I am a upc plumber]
that the grade back to the fixture does not matter
in this diagram, this would not be acceptable.[upc] i would sleeve that duct in a heat beat. lol
2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Frodo, your interpretation makes sense to me. I could see why IPC would logically find either OK. I am not a plumber.

What was the "i would sleeve that duct..." part? Accidental paste?

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Frodo, your interpretation makes sense to me. I could see why IPC would logically find either OK. I am not a plumber.

What was the "i would sleeve that duct..." part? Accidental paste?

sleeve (1).png

Terry... I know what you have always done, same as me, drain back to the fixture it serves
What I am looking for is the precise interpretation to the IPC vent grade definition.
the way it is worded, You can install a vent any way you want, as long as it has fall.

The IPC plumbers i am running into are saying that "AIR DONT CARE"
which is technically true, it just makes the work look like total ass

Stuff

Reaction score
It sounds like the plumbers you are running into have air in their heads. Air actually does care. Warm air rises. Without the slope to the fixture gasses might get trapped. Logically you also plan for the possibility of rainwater and condensation. Does any other liquid get in a dry vent above flood level?

If the grade slopes down to the vent then you are using the vent as a drain. It will work but not code in most situations.

Note your sag in red would act as a trap. So if you tested the system by filling with water you would have issues starting on day 1.

Reach4

Reaction score
It sounds like the plumbers you are running into have air in their heads. Air actually does care. Warm air rises. Without the slope to the fixture gasses might get trapped. Logically you also plan for the possibility of rainwater and condensation. Does any other liquid get in a dry vent above flood level?

If the grade slopes down to the vent then you are using the vent as a drain. It will work but not code in most situations.
I think the logic is that with A, the only water heading toward the vent is vent water... which would only be condensation. Just as with the rain and other condensation, the vent water eventually hits a drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The IPC plumbers i am running into are saying that "AIR DONT CARE"
which is technically true, it just makes the work look like total ass

They may be right as far as it working. Sort of like a kitchen Island vent in that both sides can drain down. I'm assuming the low part would drain back down the other vent with the tee or wye pointing downward.
Let us know how that goes.

island_sink_bert_polk.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks