Double Lavatory Renovation - Grade My Plumber's Work!

Users who are viewing this thread

jmpadil3

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I recently had a professional plumber provide rough-in installs for relocating a single lavatory to a double lavatory. I'm now bidding out some shower work and one plumber commented on the rough-ins and said that the sanitary tee on the lavatory stub-out is a code violation and would result in plumbing issues. Can anybody provide any feedback to that, or perhaps discuss what potential issues this could cause? Pictures below.

Attachments

• MBath1.jpg
    MBath1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 241
  • MBath2.jpg
    MBath2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 235
  • MBath3.jpg
    MBath3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 245
  • MBath4.jpg
    MBath4.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 238
  • MBath5.jpg
    MBath5.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 236

Stuff

Reaction score
I guess you are not going through permits and inspections?

You've got more than plumbing violations. Cutting the studs out to put in an electrical box is a real treat.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's not even close to what I would have done. So he doesn't own a drill with bits? Sharkbites? You can use them, but why? What is he doing for venting? I hope you change out the tub valve while it is open. And when you do, no PEX to the tub spout.

jmpadil3

Reaction score
The vent is directly behind the toilet. I'm certainly going to have another professional plumber replace the sharkbites and properly stub out all of the supply stops. Also going to have the tub & shower valves installed.

To address the comment above - that is a non-LB wall (confirmed through a P.E.), so i'm not concerned about the cutting, notches, holes, etc., but I think will slip another king stud adjacent to those boxes now that you brought that to my attention.

Should the sanitary line be re-piped? I'd like to know where the issues are (yes this is permitted and will be inspected).

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm certainly going to have another professional plumber replace the sharkbites
Replacing the sharkbites is not necessary, I don't think. They do indicate that the plumber was not doing a lot of PEX, because they are more expensive than the usual rings and clamps. I am not a plumber.

I like those sharkbite caps on the stubouts.

You do have considerable stuff that needs fixing.

jmpadil3

Reaction score
Replacing the sharkbites is not necessary, I don't think. They do indicate that the plumber was not doing a lot of PEX, because they are more expensive than the usual rings and clamps. I am not a plumber.

I like those sharkbite caps on the stubouts.

You do have considerable stuff that needs fixing.

Can you elaborate more on what needs to be fixed?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those "notches" in your brutalized wall framing grossly exceed what is allowed in even
a non-bearing wall. Whether you are "concerned" or not, it is not fit even to support
a load of drywall.

There is no proper venting for either of the lavs.

The PEX is not supported as required.

I can't see how this could be passed by any competent inspector.

jmpadil3

Reaction score
So am I in a situation where plumbers are just going to disagree with the method here or is this legitimately an illegal install that could cause problems? I am not a plumber and I have hired professional plumbers to install this, and now I'm about to hire another to install this again. First I'm going to be re-framing most of that wall now to appease the stud-notching gods. I'd like to cut the sewer line, install my framing, and then have another plumber install a new line. Can somebody suggest what I need to see for the sewer line to be OK?

Reach4

Reaction score
So am I in a situation where plumbers are just going to disagree with the method here or is this legitimately an illegal install that could cause problems?
Let me explain the problem that jumped out to everybody. When you have a p-trap, there should be a vent to let air enter to spoil a potential siphoning as you let water out of the lav at a high rate. The siphoning would empty the "water seal" from the trap, and let sewer gasses come up the drain.

There is a way to admit the air under each lavatory instead of having the preferred actual vent. That is with an Air Admittance Valve (AAV), which is permitted most places. The downside is that those can fail, where a real vent is much less likely to fail. Plumber69 referred to the possibility of AAVs in #8.

There are other flaws, but are less likely to actually cause a problem but indicate work by somebody who has not had to face inspections. The right lavatory drains through a sanitary tee on its side, as your plumber #2 pointed out. I think the problem is mainly that that fitting does not direct the flow to the right very well. This would not be expected from a real plumber or a good amateur.

And there are the structural problems that were pointed out.

I am not a plumber
nor am I.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
You were able to get a P.E. to examine the house structure. What you need now is a plumbing/building inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks