Recommendation for high quality reliable 50 gallon NG hot water heater (atmospheric vent)

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd Jamison

Reaction score
Hi folks!

My old AO Promax hot water heater just turned 12. No issues thus far, but we're getting ready to put new carpet in our basement and are thinking about getting a new water heater as part of the renovation project as a preventative maint thing.

Our current water heater gets horrible reviews online, although it's given me zero problems for 9 years now (as long as I've owned our house).

Do you have a recommendation on brands / models for a 50 gallon natural gas water heater with atmospheric vent?

I can install the tank, no problems there, just looking for some good recommendations from folks active in the field.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
TJ,

Some water heaters last forever (almost), but most last their expected life for the length of their "warranty, or less.

If you want to replace your WH now, before a major floor change, go ahead, even though you have no guaranty that the new WH will be trouble free.

As far as the brand, there are only three major brands right now - Rheem, Bradford White and OA Smith. All other brands on the market, are part of these three major brands.

If you check online reviews, they all have tons of negative reviews, because buying a WH these days has turned into a gamble. Some plumbers endorse a specific brand (the one brand that their wholesale supplier carries), and it has nothing to do with "quality".

Last thing: All brands are all using gas valves and other parts from the same manufacturers, so getting the perfect WH is pure luck. I am the last person who would say: choose X, because Y and Z are junk, so that's why I say go for the price.

About the installation: If you do it yourself, make sure you pay attention to:
- replace hot/cold water supply connectors If applicable.
- replace the cold water shut off valve.
- replace gas valve and supply flex, if applicable.
- if the new WH comes with a plastic drain bibb, consider replacing it with a brass one (less than $7).
- refer to your local code and follow it, concerning the T&P discharge pipe (in my city it must be metal and end outside the bldg about 6" above grade).
- secure the WH with approved straps, if applicable.
- if the WH is inside the home (hallway or closet), consider relocating it (to the garage of basement) or at least a pan under it. In a case of a major leak while nobody's home, the pan would be useless.

SteveInMich

BS Physics, BSEE, ...
Reaction score
TJ,

Some water heaters last forever (almost), but most last their expected life for the length of their "warranty, or less.

If you want to replace your WH now, before a major floor change, go ahead, even though you have no guaranty that the new WH will be trouble free.

As far as the brand, there are only three major brands right now - Rheem, Bradford White and OA Smith. All other brands on the market, are part of these three major brands.

If you check online reviews, they all have tons of negative reviews, because buying a WH these days has turned into a gamble. Some plumbers endorse a specific brand (the one brand that their wholesale supplier carries), and it has nothing to do with "quality".

Last thing: All brands are all using gas valves and other parts from the same manufacturers, so getting the perfect WH is pure luck. I am the last person who would say: choose X, because Y and Z are junk, so that's why I say go for the price.

About the installation: If you do it yourself, make sure you pay attention to:
- replace hot/cold water supply connectors If applicable.
- replace the cold water shut off valve.
- replace gas valve and supply flex, if applicable.
- if the new WH comes with a plastic drain bibb, consider replacing it with a brass one (less than $7).
- refer to your local code and follow it, concerning the T&P discharge pipe (in my city it must be metal and end outside the bldg about 6" above grade).
- secure the WH with approved straps, if applicable.
- if the WH is inside the home (hallway or closet), consider relocating it (to the garage of basement) or at least a pan under it. In a case of a major leak while nobody's home, the pan would be useless.

Reach4

Reaction score
Since it seems that the metal tank tends to be the limiting factor, what does anyone think about the Rheem non-metallic tanks?
Those are electric.

The HTC Phoenix Light Duty has good comments. It is a powered direct vent. Stainless steel tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks