Low pressure in bathtub. please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Wkise4

Reaction score
Just bought my first house and there is low pressure in s few faucets and especially the master bathroom bathtub. The faucet will shoot out water with high pressure until I turn the knob to the hot. Then it turns to a trickle for both the faucet and shower head. I have removed the handle and face plate in attempt to take out the cartridge but my cartridge looks different than all the videos online. I will attach a photo. Any help is greatly appreciated as my new female roommate is desperate for a real shower.

Best,
Will

Attachments

• 5396CCD2-8E89-4ED7-A74B-E7ADFF97005F.jpeg
    5396CCD2-8E89-4ED7-A74B-E7ADFF97005F.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 184

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you experience low pressure on the hot side on all your faucets that you mentioned?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you know what material your water supply pipes are made of? If they are galvanized steel, the hot ones are the first to exhibit low flow. The real reason is that the inside is all clogged with rust. The cold could be close behind. One telltale symptom is the low flow, but also a spurt of rusty water when you turn it on.

Wkise4

Reaction score
I
Do you know what material your water supply pipes are made of? If they are galvanized steel, the hot ones are the first to exhibit low flow. The real reason is that the inside is all clogged with rust. The cold could be close behind. One telltale symptom is the low flow, but also a spurt of rusty water when you turn it on.
I don’t know what material they are. How would I find out? If they are clogged do they need to be replaced. I have not noticed any rust at all coming out.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I had a clogged supply line at the water heater, the hot side leaving the heater had only just a pin hole opening from 20 years of hard water.
I was surprised I had any hot water pressure
Try removing hot water supply to see if it's clogged, or both hot and cold.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Older homes tend to have some galvanized piping in them. Even newer ones may have galvanized nipples (short, threaded pipe) to feed things like say a tub spout, or a valve. You could take a look around where the water comes in and at the water heater. If the system has any pipe where a magnet can connect, it is suspect.

If you have lots of galvanized, eventually, you'll have problems of not only flow reduction, but also eventually, it will start leaking. If it's just a short section somewhere, you could usually replace that with brass or copper.

You could look under sinks to see if the shutoff valves are screwed on, or what type of pipe is sticking out of the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks