Non Diverter Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Earl The Pearl

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here, and to larger plumbing jobs, so forgive me if I haven't been able to find the answer to this question through the search function. Wife recently bought, was sold, a Brizo Rook Non Diverter Tub Spout, Delta R10000 and R11000 and brought it home for me to pipe in on the new remodel along with the shower head and separate hand shower. My question is ........ can feed all three, independently, with the diverter (R11000), just run a separate feed from the diverter to the tub spout instead of using the original lower port on the mixing valve (R10000), since the tub spout doesn't have a diverter built in ?

Earl

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta_r11000.jpg

The R11000 with the Delta valve.

You have more options if you are using the 6-way diverter on that.

r11000-6-way.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The R10000's 'top' port is smaller than the 'bottom' one. I think you'll find that you can rotate it 180-degrees. They do this to get the maximum flow to the tub spout since shower heads are flow restricted, having a smaller outlet works fine.

I'm not sure about the flow rates for their diverter valve. You might find filling the tub takes longer if it has some restrictions in it. A straight path will have less restriction than one with multiple changes of direction and the valve, regardless.

FWIW, Delta says that their thermostatic cartridge (and trim) has a higher flow rate than the other choices that fit that rough-in valve housing.

Earl The Pearl

Reaction score
The R10000's 'top' port is smaller than the 'bottom' one. I think you'll find that you can rotate it 180-degrees. They do this to get the maximum flow to the tub spout since shower heads are flow restricted, having a smaller outlet works fine.

I'm not sure about the flow rates for their diverter valve. You might find filling the tub takes longer if it has some restrictions in it. A straight path will have less restriction than one with multiple changes of direction and the valve, regardless.

FWIW, Delta says that their thermostatic cartridge (and trim) has a higher flow rate than the other choices that fit that rough-in valve housing.

So, I should turn it 180 degrees, mount it below the mixing valve and use the diverter to route flow to the:
1 - tub
2 - shower
3 - hand shower

Correct ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think pulling from the tub port will give you more flow than from the shower port. I don' know how much restriction there is in the R11000 diverter.
Maybe there are some specs on that.

HansGrohe has an i-Box that works well too. Though the main body for that has two outlets so a third diverter would be needed there anyway.

Earl The Pearl

Reaction score
I think pulling from the tub port will give you more flow than from the shower port. I don' know how much restriction there is in the R11000 diverter.
Maybe there are some specs on that.

HansGrohe has an i-Box that works well too. Though the main body for that has two outlets so a third diverter would be needed there anyway.
So I could probably just invert the mixing valve, this is just confusing for me because I've never dealt with a tub spout with no built in diverter

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if the cartridge can be inserted 180-degrees out or if the trim can be installed properly if the valve body is turned. If you look at the rough-in valve body, you will notice the upper outlet has a smaller diameter than the lower one. If you're going to plug the lower one, I suppose you could drill out the upper port IF there's enough material to still provide enough strength. This would certainly make it impossible to return, but MIGHT work...do at your own risk!

While the plumbing would be messier if you cannot rotate the rough in would be to cap the upper port and run the diverter off of the lower outlet. Often, the diverter is mounted above the main valve, but that's not a mandate...you could just mount the valve higher up than the diverter. Might make reaching it while in the tub harder, but sort of irrelevant if you fill the tub before getting in. Or, you could even mount them side-by-side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks