Wire.jpg
Wiring.JPG
Wiring2.JPG
6.jpg
1 close.jpg
Unit.jpg
Wire.jpg
Wiring.JPG
Hey all: Several years ago when I had never used Hot Water Heating systems, I asked whether it would be a good move to replace it with Forced Air in our northern Michigan cottage. I am so glad that this forum told me I’d be nuts to do that. We’ve really liked the GWA-105N-I natural gas fired HWH system, aside from waiting 10 hours in the winter for the 1700sf house to warm up during wintertime visits. It's probably about 15 years old.

We are now adding Internet (our grandkids are demanding it), and can hopefully replace the thermostat to allow us to crank up the heat the night before we arrive. However, I’m finding there aren’t too many posts related to using smart thermostats on boilers without a C-wire.

While there this past weekend, I took lots of photos. The existing thermostat has two wires. There appears to be a bundle of 4 unused wires, green, blue, and orange, and they’re not connected on either end.

Assuming I found these same wires at both ends (and I believe I did at the thermostat and inside the wiring on the boiler), can one of those wires can be used as the “C Wire” at the Wi-Fi thermostat? If so, where does the other end of that same wire connect? If not, are there other options if we wish to use a high caliber thermostat like the Honeywell Wi-Fi 9000 or the Honeywell RTH9585 WF1004?

Has anyone used successfully a jumper and a C-Wire power adapter transformer? I have no experience with those; I simply read about it as an option for smart thermostats, but I admit to skepticism.

If you know how I can complete this, or better yet, if you have a similar boiler on Wi-Fi, I’d love to see how to install it. Thanks!

LeBlanc

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
If you know, can I use one of the four extra wires running from the thermostat to the boiler to make this work?
Yes.
If so, which color wire, and specifically where will each end of the wire connect?
Blue would be good. Connect one end to C on the thermostat. Connect the other end to a 1/4 inch spade piggyback terminal with a crimping tool. Check with your local automotive store. If you go to an auction site instead, search for piggyback spade connector. Note that 6.3mm and 0.250 are the same as 1/4 inch.
piggy%20back%20spade%20lugs%202.5mm.JPG
Unplug the black wire "24V(GND)" terminal, plug the piggyback terminal onto the vacated male spade lug, and push removed black wire onto the piggyback terminal.

I am not an electrician or other pro. I may be wrong. There are other ways to splice wires. The piggyback terminal is only one way. You should ask your friend who know some electronics for help.

Last edited:

LeBlanc

Reaction score
This is perfect! Truly appreciated.

I'm thinking we will purchase the Honeywell Wi-Fi 9000 Smart Thermostat and will plan to install it in late April. That way, if I mess something up that requires professional repair, at least the pipes won't freeze while waiting for help!

Again, thank you for taking time to assist me.

Yes.

Blue would be good. Connect one end to C on the thermostat. Connect the other end to a 1/4 inch spade piggyback terminal with a crimping tool. Check with your local automotive store. If you go to an auction site instead, search for piggyback spade connector. Note that 6.3mm and 0.250 are the same as 1/4 inch.
piggy%20back%20spade%20lugs%202.5mm.JPG
Unplug the black wire "24V(GND)" terminal, plug the piggyback terminal onto the vacated male spade lug, and push removed black wire onto the piggyback terminal.

I am not an electrician or other pro. I may be wrong. There are other ways to splice wires. The piggyback terminal is only one way. You should ask your friend who know some electronics for help.

Stuff

Reaction score
Probably don't need the spade terminals and crimping tool. The C on the transformer should be a screw that you can attach the blue wire to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks